What is CityStarters?
Harnessing our close proximity and links with both the City of London and Tech City – Europe’s fastest growing tech cluster – CityStarters is a new campaign to make City University London the UK’s best institution for student enterprise and entrepreneurship.
Our starting point is a brand new website that, for the first time, brings together all of the extra-curricular enterprise education initiatives on offer across City University London into one place and makes them easily searchable.
Why does this matter for alumni?
In order to create a thriving startup community and enterprise culture at City we realise this reaches far beyond current students – we also want to connect with and celebrate our alumni entrepreneurs as well as make our enterprise education programmes as open and accessible for all City alumni.
How can you get involved?
1. Bootstrap Business Seminars – this is a new nine week programme of FREE evening seminars targeting students and alumni wishing to setup a new business or who have setup their own business and want to learn new skills. Find out more and register here.
2. City Startupfest – a half-day event on the 22nd October at Cass Business School to celebrate entrepreneurs and startups at City, featuring: bite-size business talks, alumni entrepreneurs panel and startup marketplace. Find out more and register here.
3. CitySpark – a business design and doing competition where participants get the chance to form teams, develop a crowdfunding campaign and work on their ideas for real. For the first time, CitySpark 2013-14 is open to recent graduates (graduated within last two years) as well as current students. Find out more and enter here.
4. The Hangout – a new co-working space located just next to the Old Street Roundabout off City Road. The Hangout is a unique space where students and alumni can work on new business ideas and connect with local Tech City startups. Find out more here.
5. Founders’ Thursdays – monthly events at the Blacksmith and Toffeemaker pub on St John Street where students and alumni can share a beer, and stories, with invited startup founders and entrepreneurs. We like to think of it as the MTV Unplugged of business events. Find out more and register here.
6. City Unrulyversity – a free pop-up university in the heart of Tech City that pops-up every Wednesday from 6-8pm at Unruly HQ, just off Brick Lane, with a mission to inform, inspire, and empower the next generation of Tech City entrepreneurs. Find out more and register here.
7. TechTalks@Cass – intimate, in-depth interviews with some of the UK’s most innovative and inspirational tech entrepreneurs. Meet them up close and personal at Cass Business School, with plenty of time for your questions. Find out more and register here.
What else can you do to help?
· Join Cass Entrepreneurs Network (CEN) – Cass Entrepreneurs’ network (CEN) is a diverse and lively community of alumni, students, academics, business people and investors that provides members with a supportive forum of entrepreneurial expertise. Members can tap into the power of this network in many ways, from requesting help from successful entrepreneurs on the CEN committee to meeting potential key partners at our events. More information.
· Become a mentor – In addition to attending events and seminars at City we’re also looking for alumni who are interested in donating their time and expertise to student entrepreneurs and startups in the form of professional advice and mentoring. If you would like to find out more then please contact the CityStarters team direct by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
· Become a sponsor – We’re also looking for alumni who are interested in supporting student enterprise activities at City through sponsorship and financial support – particularly in terms of our regular events programmes and the newly relaunched CitySpark competition. To find out more about sponsorship opportunities please email email@example.com