Blogs

International Student Blog

A day in the life of a Cass student

Cass Business School, Undergraduate .

What does my typical week look like?

Due to the numerous contact hours I have on my course, the BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science, most of my week is spent in school. I have compulsory lectures each day of the week, some days having fewer and shorter ones than others. I have also taken part in some optional sessions, such as example classes and tutorials, which are intended to supplement the learning and act as a chance for students to bring up questions or issues not raised during lectures.

Assessments

We’re continuously assessed in various ways during the term. For each module, I have either class tests, online quizzes, group projects (assignments or presentations) or a combination of all or two of these. In addition, before starting the second term in January there are written assessments that carry higher percentages than the coursework aforementioned. Some of these are in the form of progress tests and others are exams (higher percentage than progress tests). Final exams take place at the end of the school year and carry the most weight percentage-wise.

Although quite demanding, I have come to appreciate this assessment structure as it keeps me on my toes and makes it hard to procrastinate, which is important because the content constantly piles up and increases in difficulty. This way, I get to understand concepts and get a hang of what we’re currently doing, while monitoring my progress. The exam period is also less daunting because of the practice that is gained.

Extracurricular activities

Apart from academics there are many activities that students can take part in, such as societies or relaxing in one of City’s social spaces such as City Bar. There, you get to have drinks, food, play pool and generally just hang out at school in a relaxed environment without the constant air of revision and deadlines.

I am also member of the Afro-Caribbean Society which has allowed me to meet new people I wouldn’t ordinarily see every day. I also get to meet qualified actuaries and other related professionals through the student-run Actuarial Society. Sometimes the university also hosts guest lectures by invited speakers. These opportunities are great because I get to receive relevant insight by those currently in the profession of actuarial science.

Outside of university there is a lot to do, especially considering the fact that City is located in central London. I live in student halls of residence and this has the advantage of provided shared spaces (such as communal kitchens and common rooms) which are a great and convenient way of bonding with people and relaxing, especially after a long day of school. Some days I spend enjoying what this vibrant city has to offer, while others are spent Skyping with my friends and family who are in other parts of the world or back home, because as an international student living alone, diaspora blues can exist!

All in all, I try to achieve a balance of academics, fun and sleep so that I enjoy a well-rounded university experience – since I believe that what you get out of university is proportional to what you put in!