Blogs

International Student Blog

Studying a law degree in the UK vs North America

The City Law School, Undergraduate , , .

Going international to obtain a degree or even just a year abroad is popular among young people as a means to not only see the world but to have a competitive CV. However, being an international student has its challenges like anything else and some are talked about more than others such as missing your family. My personal challenge was adjusting to the cultural norms of the British education system from the American system.

In North America it’s common for 24-27 years old students to remain in school pursuing a second degree. They are told one degree is not enough to be competitive in today’s society or that the educational requirements are different for certain degrees.

To obtain a law degree in North America, a candidate would have to choose a four-year undergrad degree in any discipline followed by a three-year law school – totalling it to seven years in higher education.

In Britain, students can apply to law school right out of high school and graduate by 21/22 years of age with the LLB in hand and either the LPC, LLM, or BPTC. When I tell people in London that I am a 24 years old student it is a surprise to them.

Why? London is a fast-paced business district where working life is encouraged relatively earlier compared to in North America. People pursue other avenues besides university, such as internships, because the sooner they can get into work the better – especially in the competitive London job market.

The cultural outlook towards long consecutive years in education is recognised as a necessary achievement in North America. I am very proud of my seven years of education, achievements and all the wonderful opportunities I’ve been given so far.

Why I chose to study law in London

If I were to repeat the process for applying to law school I would still choose London as my ideal location. Being a solicitor in a commercial law firm in London is the end goal and I particularly enjoy the London working lifestyle. It is worth noting that your educational requirements should only matter to yourself and your future employer.

Being a City, University of London law student specifically has offered me the opportunities for more educational achievements to help my CV stand out and build skills needed to be an outstanding solicitor. Mooting at City has helped with preparing bundles – experience needed for when I become a certified solicitor.

The option to be trained for the National Centre for Domestic Violence and act as a McKenzie Friend has provided me with the opportunity to not only help people but learn how to draft witness statements, fill in non-molestation orders and occupation orders, as well as appear in court.

The law society at City has given me the chance to be the blog coordinator for the society and do three posts a week which helps with my commercial awareness. There are many fantastic events provided by the Careers Service post as well such as getting your CV checked over by a barrister at Keating Chambers.

As an international student you have an advantage over domestic students in the sense of life experience and you are not limited in the opportunities you can participate in, you just have to be willing to seek them out. The staff at City are always helpful in providing students with the tools necessary to succeed and if you would like to stay in the UK to work after school, City will provide you with every opportunity to make yourself employable.  You just need to be open minded.