Because our legacy CMS does not play nicely with modern web browsers, the Windows Team have kindly set us up 5 “virtual machines” with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6 installed.
CMS users are now able to remotely log onto one of these machines to edit and publish their content using the browser the CMS was designed for. We hope this will alleviate some of the pain of using poor old Serena Collage.
- To access one of these machines, follow these steps:
- From inside the University network, navigate to http://cms-xprdp.city.ac.uk and you’ll see this…
- Choose an available machine and click on the link
- This will download an .rdp file (e.g. cms-xp-01.rdp) – choose the option to save this
- Locate the .rpd file on your machine and double click it – you maybe receive a warning message at this point – just click “Connect”
- This will open a Remote Desktop and you will be prompted for your user Name and Password – enter your University username and password
- Change the “Log on to” option to ENTERPRISE, like so…
- When you are logged in you will see a link in the top left corner to Serena Collage cms.city.ac.uk clikcing this will open the CMS in IE6.
- Log in to the CMS and edit your content as normal
- Remember to log off from the remote desktop when you have finished your editing
Disclaimer: The Web Team in no way supports the use of Internet Explorer 6 for anything other than Serena Collage.