Blogs

Becoming an Adult Nurse

Three stripes

Uncategorized.

adult-nursing-3adult-nursing-1adult-nursing-2

The expression ‘it’s scary how time flies’ could never be more appropriate when describing how quickly my adult nursing degree has gone. I remember sitting in my first lecture, Mellissa (our then course leader) saying that you will be surprised just how quickly this degree will pass and in no time you will be competent and confident registered nurses. Well, 2 and a half years on and here I am, a third year adult nursing student, who can confidently and competently look after a range of patients and adapt to suit the surrounding I am in due to the essential nursing skills and knowledge I have gained over the past two years of my course.

I have been at North Middlesex University Hospital for all of my clinical placements, and I LOVE it. It’s a hospital where I have been supported and encouraged to learn, develop and grow my knowledge and become the best nurse I can be. Because the hospital is a small trust I feel like a part of the family, I work with people who are not only my colleagues but also my friends. Building such relationships not only makes the placement more enjoyable but also opens the door for future opportunities. My advice for anyone choosing where to complete their placements – go to somewhere that suits your personality, you’ll be spending a great deal of time there over the next few years and it’s vital that your feel comfortable in that environment.

I’m just about to finish my first block of placement as a third year student. I have been on surgical rotation which involves experiencing anaesthetics, scrub side and recovery, but the majority of my time has been spent on the surgical ward. For me this rotation has really allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge of anatomy and physiology whilst allowing me to use my practical skills and understanding through assessing and looking after patients.

I experienced patients arriving in theatre with a nervous look on their faces, and observed and applied the skills used by nurses and ODP’s to relax and comfort them. The airway management skills I developed whilst working with anaesthetists helped me appreciate the importance of monitoring vital signs in a theatre environment.

In the main theatre I learnt the importance of the sterile field which is so vital to the work in surgery. I got to experience being a first scrub nurse for minor procedures and second scrub nurse for several major operations. It’s an amazing feeling to be assisting with something that is changing a patient’s life. I was so well supported by my mentor and the theatre team, I found that the skills and knowledge I displayed in theatres has helped me now I’m on the surgical ward, when I raise concerns about my patient to a member of the surgical team they understand and respect my views because they trust my clinical judgement….which feels amazing!

In recovery I learnt the importance of monitoring patients’ vital signs and observations, pain control and Arterial line management. We also discussed at length the importance of a detailed hand over to ensure patients get the best care.

I have spent the majority of my 4 week placement on a male surgical ward. I have never enjoyed being on a ward more, it focuses on being able to use all your skills to monitor, treat and care for a range of different patients who have come in for different procedures and management. I feel like a part of a very well-oiled machine and it’s given me real confidence and excitement for the future.

What is evident throughout all the placements I’ve completed during my degree is that City students are head and shoulders above the rest…and that’s not just my own biased opinion, it’s what others have said to me. We are fortunate that our programme allows us to consolidate our knowledge and understanding through theory and simulated practice before going into placement to put our skills in practice for real. I’m proud to be a nursing student and I’m proud to be a student at City.

Third year carries a lot of weight both practically and theoretically. In particular, writing a dissertation (which I have just submitted my title for – to be discussed more thoroughly in an upcoming blog post) and completing a management placement (the final 12 week placement before we qualify) requires us to draw on all the skills we have developed throughout our degree.  However it also offers many opportunities which I’m so excited for. For example, I’m starting to see how I want my career as a nurse to develop, I have the opportunity to help other nursing students through this blog and being the adult nursing advocate for the nursing society and sharing my experiences with others. Completing a nursing degree, though not easy, will be one of the most rewarding things you will ever do, both for yourself personally and for the people whose lives you touch through your career.

I have theory to look forward to in the lead up to Christmas! Which I love as it reminds me still that I am a student! Lectures!! Savour them while you can because you will go from one to three stripes in the blink of an eye!

Plenty more blog posts to come!

Olivia x