Blogs

Becoming an Adult Nurse

Oh I wish it could be Christmas every day! (not sure my student finances would stretch that far!)

Uncategorized.

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine… and revision in the student world!

Congratulations to all the first years for completing your first term, surviving freshers, 9am lectures and freshers flu! Second years, well done on completing your first placement of year 2!

As for third years (like myself) we are up to our eyes in dissertation writing, reading and reviewing. However that has not dampened my Christmas spirit!

thumbnail_img_2127

Surgical ward Christmas party

I’ve completed my Christmas shopping, ate too many mince pies already and cannot wait to binge on Christmas TV, Quality Street and pigs in blankets! This week I went home to Devon for the start of my Christmas festivities with my family before traveling to Belfast to have Christmas with my boyfriend and his family!

I was also invited to my last placements ward Christmas party… just because we’re nurses doesn’t mean we can’t party! I felt so grateful to be invited and I loved seeing all my colleagues again. Still it’s a funny feeling seeing your colleagues out of uniform and singing their hearts out to the Pogues Fairy Tale of New York!

This year feels a bit nostalgic, it’s my last Christmas as a student and the prospect that I won’t have Christmas off next year makes me feel so sad! I’ve spoken to some of my friends who are now qualified nurses and graduates from City about how they feel about working over Christmas and their approaches to dealing with work over the festive period – I’ve summarised 3 main positives they all emphasised on:

1. Spend quality time with your families – it doesn’t have to be on Christmas day.

2. Embrace the good work you are doing – you’re making a huge difference to someone’s life who is sick and away from their families at this festive time of year.

img_2202

Happy Christmas!

3. Always smile and keep positive! You won’t be working Christmas day every year.

Being with family at this time of year is very important to me, that is something I will take forward as I become a qualified nurse. It’s not about the day or presents it’s about spending time with the people you love, and we are going into a hard profession which makes us all HEROS! Speaking of which, I’m going to go open a tub of them!

If you haven’t already done so, check out the Adult Nursing newsletter for the autumn term… it has some great content and features me and my experiences in Uganda! I will be doing a blog post about it in the New Year, so for all those eager to do a placement abroad watch this space.

Happy Christmas to you all and a happy new year!

Liv x

About Olivia

Hello, I'm Olivia a 21 year old third year adult nursing student, from Devon. I love fitness, food and a good adventure! Be sure to check out my blog posts x View all posts by Olivia →