Buying textbooks…again. Choosing modules…again. Hating your timetable…again. Steadily rising number of coffees per day…again. Steadily rising number of hours spent in the library…again. Dreading deadlines and all-nighters…again. Looking for your warm jacket in the depths of your closet…again. Getting up before 10 (or even worse, 9!) in the morning…again. We could go on, couldn’t we?
The autumn term is about to start and we completely understand that you may find it a little difficult to switch from a summer mode to study mode…again. So, to ease your pain, I compiled a list of 10 reasons why, after all, the autumn term does not have to be so bad. Even better, 10 reasons why this autumn term can prove enjoyable!
- There are exciting Welcome Week careers events coming up…open to all, Freshers and non-Freshers are welcome to come along! Photobooth, Earn while you learn sessions (useful in case your finances post-summer need a bit of help…) and Lunch with Careers sessions – yes, free lunch every day, all week…plus you get a chance to meet us!
- Available on our web pages, there will be a brand new video giving you all the know how when it comes to booking in for events, searching for job and work experience opportunities and getting involved in various on-campus initiatives designed to equip you with top employability skills.
- Career Fairs are back – Banking, Finance & Consultancy Fair on 2nd October, Engineering, Science & Technology Fair on 9th October and, finally, the Law Fair on 16th October – come and meet all those employers who have been looking forward to meeting you!
- Brand new, revamped fair preparation session are coming up – this year three top employers – Macfarlanes, RBS and Lloyd’s Register – will join us at these events to give you top tips on how to make the most of the fairs.
- Seeing your classmates… c’mon you must like at least some of them…
- Seeing your lecturers…again you must like at least some of them!
- There will be lots of careers events – Industry Insight Panels, Employer in Residence sessions, workshops, skills sessions and presentations – with new exciting employers joining us on campus this year! What’s not to like?
- Employability Skills Programme will start again – this year we doubled the number of sessions and introduced new evening sessions…so whether you are an early bird or a night owl, you will find something for yourself.
- Snapshot: Your Insight into Industry Scheme will be launched early – yes, as early as the last week of September, the Snapshot applications will open and you will have a chance to put together this outstanding application which will get you an interview! That’s five months early compared to last year…and again the scheme is open to all current students.
- Hundreds of graduate programmes, vacations schemes and summer internships will be open for applications…and hundreds of them are already or will be shortly listed on City CareersHub – so why delay? Begin your search now!
As you might have noticed, 8 out of the 10 reasons listed above are careers-related. After all, most of my days are spent immersed in careers related work. Add your reasons why the autumn term can be enjoyable and you will see that it is not going to be all bad!
With best wishes for the forthcoming autumn term,
Karolina (from the Employer Liaison corner)