For thousands of Finance, Economics & Business students out there, this is a no-brainer – “when I graduate I want to be an investment banker” must be the world`s most frequently expressed career ambition this decade, a bit different from my “I want to be a ballerina or a psychiatrist” indecision when I was growing up. With the economic crash and the fall of the Lehman Brothers in 2008, as well as with the media attention banking has received since – we`ve all seen the Wolf of Wall Street! – investment banking is becoming the holy grail of careers and the ultimate dream of most young Financiers.
Now, I know what you are thinking… I chose City & Cass precisely because it`s in the City of London therefore I want a career in the City… but take a look at these graduate career gems in Business/Finance that will make you question just how appealing those 24 hrs workdays at investment banks really are:
– Lidl – yes, not the most attractive brand by student standards…. However, their Graduate Management Scheme pays a whopping £41,000 per year AND you get a car! And if that`s not enough to rock your boat, you will be given REAL responsibility from day one and will be dealing with everything from operations to people management
– ASDA is looking at hiring 12,000 more people this year alone – talk about making it big! Plus, with a starting 24 holiday days per year + flexible working and opportunity to get more time off, it doesn`t sound bad at all!
– Civil Service will make you an offer you cannot refuse to train and work in the Government Finance Department. Perks include – further accreditation & qualification, competitive salary, generous benefits & leave entitlement.
But if you are still quite keen to start your career within a bank, here are our top 3 tips for you to beat that competition:
- Brush up on those application writing skills & psychometric testing
- Practise interviewing techniques by booking a mock interview with one of our Careers Consultants
- Visit CareersHub to find vacancies and apply online
SO WHO DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP?
With love from the Employer Liaison corner, Victoria.