I am Peter Vodicka, PhD Candidate at Cass and Founder of Cass AIR-Q Society – the Cass Actuarial, Insurance, Risk and Quants Society. We are focused on bringing together students with like-minded interests, the society organises meetups, workshops and networking events allowing students to immerse themselves in the actuarial, insurance, risk and quantitative finance industries.

The Society is made up of five Co-Presidents: one undergraduate student and four master’s students. I spoke to our Co-Presidents and asked them about their time at Cass so far and their plans for AIR-Q. Meet the Co-Presidents:

Rocio Plasencia, MSc Insurance and Risk Management (2020) from Peru

I decided to study at Cass to continue my personal and professional development. Cass is not only providing me the appropriate tools to improve my skills and to progress my expertise and vision in insurance business, but also it is giving me the opportunity to get to know the worldwide leading insurance market. I have met incredible and inspiring people from all over the world. I am looking forward to all our future events at Cass AIR-Q Society.

As a Peruvian lawyer, the diversity of the modules on the MSc Insurance and Risk Management can be a big challenge, but it was one of the main reasons I chose this master’s. What I love the most about the insurance industry is the possibility of getting to know people with different perspectives and professions.

As one of the Presidents of the Cass AIR-Q Society, my objective is to contribute to the society becoming a reference point and a source of knowledge at Cass and in the industry by hosting specialised workshops and seminars.

Lucy Nondi, MSc Actuarial Management (2020) from Kenya

Located at the hub of UK’s capital, Cass attracts a blend of cultures from all over the world. This has been one of its outstanding attributes, on top of the quality of education it provides in the fields of finance and business. My first three months have been very exciting as I have been able to attend various events that have helped sharpen both my networking skills and clarify my career path.

Joining Cass AIR-Q as one of the Presidents provides a great platform for interacting and learning from different professionals who are already in the finance field. I will therefore be able to keep up to date with what is currently happening in the industry through the networking events are planning for in the new year. Cass AIR-Q will also be an opportunity for me to improve my networking skills that is really essential in my career goal as an actuary.

Evangelos Santas, MSc Financial Mathematics (2020), from Greece

Being a postgraduate student in the heart of the financial capital and being in contact with world-leading finance leaders, every day here at Cass just feels so amazing. The professional environment have made me feel back in my element and comfortable. The many helpful people I work with every day made me quickly forget about London’s rainy weather. It’s a great way to entry in the world of business!

Coming from a university in a different country, I had to face with a completely different study culture. Understanding how to approach my finance classes, as I come from a quantitative background, were challenging but incredibly rewarding.

Joining AIR-Q Society as one of its Presidents has been a great opportunity to give back to the Cass community. I’ve had the chance to meet interesting people, to learn about the industry’s current trends and to develop my organisational and communication skills by preparing interesting events, focusing on quants master’s students.

Adam Upenieks, MSc Quantitative Finance (2020), from Canada

Walking through the doors for the first time, I noticed that Cass is more than just a place to learn. It is a place to meet people, gain connections and learn about your peers. The atmosphere of Cass and the energy of London has made it a great place to train for a career in finance.

The biggest challenge of any graduate programme is time management. It is a crucial part of being a successful student and an invaluable skill to have for a successful career. Currently, I am balancing my time between studying for my CFA level II, taking extra-curricular Python courses, and studying a full course load at Cass. This is a challenge, but I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Being part of AIR-Q presents you with opportunities to gain invaluable knowledge through meeting industry professionals and networking. It is also a fantastic opportunity to create tailored events for our peers in the quantitative disciplines. As a President, you need to have your finger on the pulse of what is happening in the world of finance, what is interesting to your peers and to organise remarkable events. My goal this year is to bring meaningful information to my peers in the world of quantitative finance, so that we can all learn and move forward together.

Juan Sebastián de la Torre, MSc Insurance and Risk Management (2020), from Ecuador

Joining Cass and AIR-Q has been amazing and I’m enjoying every moment. The campus facilities are excellent— you have access to every resource you need for your research and studies. The master’s programme encourages you to give your best and reach your potential.

Finding a balance between studies, social life and hobbies is a must. At the moment my modules have been amazing providing me with a lot of knowledge and that encourages me to seek for more information and always be investigating about new trends in the insurance market.

I decided to run for Cass AIR-Q President because I’m passionate about the field I’m studying and it is a great opportunity to provide my classmates and Cass students with great opportunities to assist to workshops, discussions panels and events organized by the society with interesting and experienced workers in the field. My goal with Cass AIR-Q is to provide quality events that will benefit the students and increase the society group members.

Follow AIR-Q Society on LinkedIn

David Flanigan, BSc Actuarial Science (2020), from the United Kingdom

I am in my final year of BSc Actuarial Science and have benefited hugely by making the most of the resources and facilities offered by Cass and would urge new students to do the same!

As well as my role as President of AIR-Q, I am also President of the undergraduate Society of Actuaries and hope to establish a strong link between master’s students and our undergraduate students who may be looking for mentors or advice.  Collectively, we can recognise the benefits expanding our networks to draw on our peers’ expertise.