Being an MSc International Business student means not needing to confine yourself to one career path. Being a Cass master’s student gives you the opportunity to thrive. I am incredibly motivated by the commitment of my classmates. In learning that they all have very unique backgrounds and talents, my determination to really make this year at Cass count grew even stronger. That’s how I ended up at the CityStarters Weekend.

CityStarters Weekend is a startup hackathon held by CityVentures that features a series of workshops and talks, giving you the opportunity to innovate, to think out of the box and to come up with a ground-breaking solution with your team. I had never been to a competition that required so much thinking, not to mention coming up with a feasible, eye-catching startup idea in a seemingly impossible time-frame! Luckily, our team was full of passionate students that we were soon flooded with opinions on what should we be going for. Throughout the weekend, we worked on multiple problems, solutions and most importantly, we shared thoughts with our mentors, competitors and connected with a lot of intelligent individuals! At the end of the event, every team’s hopes rested on our entrusted pitchers. I am proud of my team and our pitchers who gave an excellent presentation.

While we did not win an award this time around, I left overjoyed and feeling like I had conquered the weekend. The most valuable I learned from this experience, as cliché as it may seem, is that it is the journey that really counts. The weekend taught me so much about the brainstorming and pitching process and I leave even more motivated to pursue my entrepreneurial ambitions.

Jonas Leung, MSc International Business (2020)