Blogs

City Alumni Network

From EMBA to New Interactions With Things

Cass Business School News, Uncategorized , .

2015-09-05 20.24.56EMBA alumnus (2014) Patrick Beraud talks about doing an Executive MBA, life after Cass and the fast-paced world of tech start-ups. He is set to launch his first platform, Bemoir, at the end of this month. Patrick is based in Melbourne.

Tell me about your time at Cass!

I studied the Executive MBA, and what I remember most are the two initiation workshops in a fire service school, which was really immersive, and the international electives in South Africa and Vietnam. Those were eyes opening and really transformed me.

What advice would you give someone who is thinking about doing the Executive MBA or has just started?

I would say enjoy it while you are at it, because sometimes I look back and feel like, I wish I could re-experience some of those moments again. Although none of those moments I dream of are about submitting an assignment :=)

You’re based in Melbourne now – do you attend many Cass events?

Yes I am in where they call down-under, Melbourne, Australia. I travelled to the Monaco Alumni event in September. For me, it was an opportunity to reconnect with what an MBA has to offer. I really enjoyed meeting up with former classmates or new ones, hearing where they are now, what are they doing and how their stories have changed since they completed the MBA.

What did you go on to do after graduating from Cass?

Well, it was a roller coaster and it still is. I had a business idea well researched, so I started working on it part-time, putting the team together to launch the venture while in parallel I was working in a corporate environment. Then this year in January I moved to full time on my own venture and since then the roller coaster has been much more than anything I expected – I think the right words are, anything I could have ever imagined.

This new venture, it’s called Bemoir – what’s it all about?

Bemoir is an internet-based product using technologies such as NFC, Thinfilm and RFID to give unique digital life to physical objects. Our customers can use the platform to attach videos, photos, and audio to their prized possessions such as one-of-a-kind artwork or collectibles. By attaching thoughts and emotions to their items, our customers can increase the saleability of their products and perpetuate the product’s value.

Bemoir is a fully rich media digital platform with associated iOS and Android mobile applications. To use on a painting, for example, simply wave your smart phone over the painting that has Bemoir tag attached to it, you can reveal the story of the item, providing you a rich enhanced experience through the artist’s eye. Simply imagine walking around every artwork you come across, you can wave your phone at to discover more about it, or at a museum, or at your own family heirlooms.

Our beta platform is live and we are on track to officially launch Bemoir on Thursday 3rd December.

What’s your top tip for anyone looking to start their own business?

Settle in for the long haul, and expect everything to go wrong. But if you want to walk away from the 95%, as Jim Rohn once said, then that should be enough reason for you to start.

What’s next for you?

I have no idea – welcome to the tech startup world! But of course I will make Bemoir a success, so I still have three to five years ahead of me. We’ve given ourselves a big challenge, and that is to give everyone the power or the tools to express their individuality and uniqueness. And that is what Bemoir is for. It is to “be” and it is “moi”. So as you can see, what is next for me is to fulfil that vision. Remember we are just starting.

Finally, it’s the quick-fire question round!
Favourite place in London: East Dulwich Park
Favourite holiday destination: Portugal, from the south to the north
Dream travel destination: Croatia
Must-visit everyday website: I must visit all four at the same time, I don’t know why! They are time.com, guardian.co.uk, ft.com and bbc.co.uk, oh and sputnik news haha!
Cheese or chocolate: Cheese anytime!