Message from Professor Sir Paul Curran – June 2021

Portrait of Professor Sir Paul Curran. I hope that you and your family have been keeping well as we emerge from lockdown.

England has taken further steps toward easing Covid-19 restrictions. These developments are welcome and a result of a significant fall in case numbers and continued progress in the vaccine rollout. This gives us optimism for the coming weeks and months as we make our way out of the pandemic. However, Covid-19 continues to impact our community and our alumni around the world. Your resilience and the support you have given to your communities worldwide is a source of pride and admiration for me and everyone here at City.

For universities, the new UK-wide guidance means that all students can return to their campuses if they wish and at City, we have expanded some of our on-campus activities for both students and staff.  However, we will hold graduation celebrations virtually again this summer in the hope that we will soon be able to return to the Barbican to celebrate the achievements of our graduating students, together with their families and friends.

This will be my last message to you. As you may be aware, I’m stepping down as President of City this month after eleven years in post. It has been an honor and great privilege for me to have led this outstanding University for a small part of its history. My successor Professor Anthony Finkelstein will join City at the end of this month from his position as the Government’s Chief Scientific Adviser for National Security. I was asked to reflect on my time as President of City in this edition of Alumni News. I hope you will enjoy reading the interview along with exciting news from around your University and alumni community.

Over the years it has been particularly rewarding for me to meet with and follow the careers and achievements of our former students. It has also filled me with gratitude and pride to see so many of our alumni choosing to help us with student mentoring, regional alumni networks and fundraising. I would like to thank you for the ongoing support that you provide to City and our students and am pleased to share with you the latest edition of Your support is changing lives, City’s Donor Impact Report.

Best wishes, stay safe and continued success in your private and professional lives.

Kind regards,

Paul

Professor Sir Paul Curran
President