Current CityLIS student Caroline Stafford wins BIALL Student Award for 2021

This great news shared by Caroline Stafford.

In June 2021, I was delighted to find out that I had been awarded the BIALL Student Award for 2021. BIALL (British and Irish Association for Law Librarians) is the UK’s leading professional body for law librarians which supports and represents legal information professionals in a variety of fields. The award is open to both undergraduate and postgraduate library students who are encouraged to submit an essay of between 2,000 to 3,000 words that discusses a topic related to law librarianship.

I am honoured to have accepted the BIALL Student Award for 2021. I am a law librarian at a law firm in London and this recognition has heightened my passion for the profession. BIALL is an exceptional organisation and community that values its members and raises the profile of law librarians throughout the UK.

My essay was titled The processes and concepts of collection development and collection management by 2025 will be dramatically different from those in 2000, and was originally submitted in completion of the CityLIS module ‘Information Management and Policy’. The essay argues that, although similarities remain, significant events have shifted the collection development and collection management of law libraries. The 2008 financial crash reduced budgets and forced a change in acquisition policies, whereas the technological boom of the early 2000s triggered the shift of legal resources from print to online. These changes were significantly accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic as law librarians were forced to work from home, with their roles adapting accordingly. This essay topic has acted as inspiration for my dissertation, which focusses on the effect of COVID-19 on law libraries and the legal information profession.

Studying at CityLIS has been an amazing experience, even with the pandemic forcing the 2020-21 course online! Each module has given me the opportunity to dive into new areas of the library and information science sector that I was completely new to. I especially value how I was able to shape many assignments to reflect my interest in the legal information profession, and I have subsequently learnt a huge amount about the profession throughout the course.

Applications for entry to CityLIS 21/22 are now open:

MSc Information Science
MSc/MA Library Science

About lyn

Dr Lyn Robinson is Reader in Library & Information Science, and Head of Department at City, University of London. She established and directs the Library School, and co-directs the Centre for Information Science alongside Prof David Bawden. Contact: lyn@city.ac.uk
This entry was posted in News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.