City Writes is City, University of London’s termly writing event, showcasing the best of City Short Courses writing talent.
Hosted by longstanding short courses tutor, Rebekah Lattin-Rawstrone, and into its third year, City Writes provides an opportunity for the best new writers from the City Short Courses community to read an extract of their work, sharing the stage with one of our published alumni or tutors reading from their new or award-winning publication
Enter our City Writes Competition
For an exciting opportunity to read alongside our published guest speaker at the City Writes event, short course writing students and alumni are invited to take part in the City Writes termly writing competition.
To be considered, applicants must submit 1,000 word of fiction writing (we also accept creative non-fiction, such as memoir or travel writing, and though we do accept young adult, we don’t currently accept children’s fiction) on any subject.
The next City Writes event will take place via ZOOM on Wednesday 9th December.
Details of our guest author will be available very soon so keep checking back.
City Writes Autumn Term Event 2020
The 2020 City Writes autumn event will take place on:
Wednesday 9th December via ZOOM.
To register your interest in attending this event, please email Rebekah Lattin-Rawstrone. A link to the zoom event will be sent out on the 9th December to all registered guests.
Past guest speakers have included:
- Emma Claire Sweeney, author of Owl Song at Dawn and Visiting Lecturer at City Short Courses
- Luiza Sauma, author of Everything You Ever Wanted and City Short Courses alumna
- Greg Keen, author of Soho Dead, and City’s Novel Studio alumnus
- Imogen Hermes Gowar , author of The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock and City Short Courses alumna
- C. G. Menon, author of Skin Deep and short courses alumna
- Cherry Potts, author of The Dowry Blade, publisher and Visiting Lecturer at City Short Courses
- Harriet Tyce, author of Blood Orange and City’s Novel Studio alumna
- Anna Mazzola, author of The Unseeing and The Story Keeper and City’s Novel Studio alumna
- Rosamund Davies, editor of Story Cities and City’s Novel Studio alumna, with other alumni published in the flash collection: Evleen Mann, Maire Malone, Jayne Buxton and the publisher and Visiting Lecturer, Cherry Potts.
- Shahrukh Husain, author, screenwriter, editor of e.g. Virago’s The Book of Witches, and Novel Studio alumna
City Writes Competition Submission Guidelines
City Writes is City Short Courses most prestigious writing event. For the opportunity to read your work alongside our published guest speakers at our spring event, past and present students email their 1000 word fiction or creative non-fiction story or extract to Rebekah.email@example.com.
- Your story doesn’t need to follow a theme, it just needs to be the best 1000 words you can send us.
- Your email should state your name, the title of your story/extract and the name of the City Creative Writing Short Course you took or are taking.
- Your story should be attached as a word (doc. Or docx.) rich text or pdf document and should not include your name to allow us to judge the stories anonymously.
Please do not submit more than one story per term. Multiple submissions will not be read.
You will be informed of the outcome of your submission by the end of week eight of teaching. No comments or feedback will be given on unsuccessful submissions.
Thank you and good luck!