Kicking off Digital Literacies and Open Practice 2019-2020

Photo by Leyre Labarga on Unsplash

I’m delighted that this module kicks off again on Thursday 17th October with a new cohort of keen participants. This year the module has also been offered to LIS Students at City and a few have opted to take the course, so they will be joining students on our MA in Academic Practice. I’m really looking forward to having their perspective and contributions. The one thing I really liked last year was allowing people to focus on the aspects of digital literacy and open practice that really appealed to them and to dig into the literature to inform their thinking. You could probably base an entire module on each concept, so trying to cover everything is really difficult, but I found myself wanting to add in more to my teaching materials and not take anything out when reviewing the slides last week!

Feedback last year for the module was really positive, so the pressure is on to keep the standard as high as before. I’ve had a really useful chat with colleagues Sam Aston and Chris Millson at University of Manchester, who teach their module Open Knowing in Higher Education. It was being invited to give a guest workshop as part of their module that really inspired me to create this module, so I hope I have been able to share some of my ideas with them as well.

I’ve also been overwhelmed with the support I’ve received from external colleagues who agreed to once again give up their time to be part of the webinar series. The webinars are open to everyone and the first of these will be on Tuesday 22nd October and given by copyright games enthusiast and policy expert Chris Morrison from the University of Kent – I’ll share a link to the Adobe Connect classroom next week on the blog again but here it is.

The full line up of webinars are on the website now and also you can still access the recordings from last year if you missed them. I’m using the hashtag #CityDLOP if anyone wants to tweet about the module and I have just about got my Moodle site up and running. So wish me luck!

About Jane Secker

Senior Lecturer in Educational Development at City, University of London