The Gender and Sexualities Research Centre

City, University of London

Hannah Curran-Troop

Department of Sociology / GSRC

I began my PhD in October 2019, which is a qualitative project researching several feminist creative and cultural enterprises in London, including Gal-dem zine, London Feminist Film Festival, Sister Magazine, Damsel Productions, Girls in Film and Polyester Zine. I’m specifically interested in how these women combine various expressions of feminist activism with commercial necessities as they negotiate work in the neoliberal creative economy. Throughout the lockdown, I have been tracking the digital activities and initiatives embarked on by these enterprises as they endeavor to weather the ongoing pandemic, and am now working on a chapter presenting these findings.

More broady, my research interests span creative and cultural work, contemporary feminisms, LGBT politics, neoliberalism, and inequalities. My interests in gender and sexualities studies first developed during my MA in Gender, Media, and Culture at Goldsmiths in 2016, and then through my work experience between 2017-2019 at Berlin’s LGBT Museum and Research Centre, The Schwules Museum. My personal interests in queer and feminist arts and culture, combined with my concerns for the growing insecurity of work in these fields have greatly inspired and shaped my PhD’s focus on gender and work. I now work as a Research Administrator for the GSRC alongside my PhD study.

sbrp126 • July 8, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post