We’re constantly updating our collections so that you can access the best resources possible.
Over the last few weeks we have been busy adding new e-books to CityLibrary Search: some of these are brand new titles, including those chosen by you through one of our Recommend a book for purchase schemes; others are digital versions of print books which are inaccessible because of the lockdown.
Here, our Subject Librarians have picked out some highlights from the new items in our collections to help you while you are studying at home. The title links will take you through to the e-book record where you can login to access the full text.
- Wahl-Jorgensen, K. & Hanitzsch, T. (2020) The handbook of journalism studies. 2nd edn, New York, NY: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group.
- Angler, M.W. (2020) Telling science stories: reporting, crafting and editing for journalists and scientists. London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Hogarth, M., (2019) Writing Feature Articles: Print, Digital and Online. 5th edn, Abingdon: Routledge.
- El-Enany, N. (2020) Bordering Britain: law, race and empire. Manchester: Manchester University Press
- Hill, A. W. (2017) Scoring the screen: the secret language of film music. Milwaukee, WI: Hal Leonard Books, an imprint of Hal Leonard LLC.
From the FT.com – lockdown reading recommendations
- Rumelt, Richard P (2011) Good strategy/bad strategy: the difference and why it matters
- Rivoli, Pietra (2009) The travels of a T-shirt in the global economy: an economist examines the markets, power…
Projects and exams preparation
- Saunders, M. N. K; Lewis, Philip, 1945; Thornhill, Adrian (2019) Research methods for business students
- Cottrell, Stella (2019) The study skills handbook
- Robinson, T.R., Henry, E. & Broihahn, M.A. (2020) International financial statement analysis. 4th edn. Thomas R. Hoboken, NJ.: Wiley.
- Pinto, J.E., Henry, E., Robinson, T.R., Stowe, J.D., Wilcox, S.E. & CFA Institute (2020) Asset equity valuation. 4th edn. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Berk, J.B., DeMarzo, P.M. & Harford, J.V.T. (2019) Fundamentals of corporate finance. 4th, edn. Harlow: Pearson.
On LawTrove you can read books that are on your reading lists, such as The Substantive Law of the EU: The Four Freedoms or International Law by Malcolm Evans. You can also read books from the popular Concentrate revision and study guide series. Access LawTrove and choose ‘sign in via your institution’.
Encyclopedia of library and information sciences is a wide-ranging work covering the latest topics as well as “classic articles of historical and theoretical importance.”
Some other new titles of interest include:
- Russell, D., (2019) The joy of search: a Google insider’s guide to going beyond the basics. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Goldstein, S. (2020) Informed societies: why information literacy matters for citizenship, participation and democracy. London: Facet.
- Bastian, J.A. & Flinn, A., (2020) Community archives, community spaces: heritage, memory and identity. London: Facet.
Language and Communication Studies
New e-books have been purchased for reading lists. Here are some of the most popular titles:
- Papathanasiou, I. & Coppens, P., (2017). Aphasia and related neurogenic communication disorders. 2nd edn. Burlington, MA.: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Beitchman, J.H. & Brownlie, E.(.B.). (2014) Language disorders in children and adolescents.Boston, MA: Hogrefe.
- Burrus, A.E. & Willis, L.B. (2017) Professional communication in speech-language pathology: how to write, talk, and act like a clinician. 3rd edn. San Diego, CA.: Plural Publishing, Inc.
- Leonard, L.B. (2014) Children with specific language impairment. 2nd edn. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
Nursing and Midwifery
A selection of some of our e-book purchases:
- Gardner, S. et al. (eds.) (2020) Merenstein & Gardner’s handbook of neonatal intensive care: an interprofessional approach. (2020) 9th edn. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Schmidt, N.A. & Brown, J (eds.) (2019) Evidence-based practice for nurses: appraisal and application of research. 4th edn. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Hoffbrand, A.V. and Steensma, D.P. (2020) Hoffbrand’s essential haematology. 8th edn.
Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Jevon, P. et al. (2009) Clinical examination skills. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell.
Some titles recently purchased as e-books, they include new titles, titles on reading lists, new editions and some titles chosen by students:
- Norris, P., Kern, M., & Just, M.R. (2003) Framing terrorism: the news media, the government and the public. London: Routledge
- Cortada, J.W. & Aspray, W. (2019) Fake news nation: the long history of lies and misinterpretations in America. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Ilan, J. (2015) Understanding street culture: poverty, crime, youth and cool. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Evans, R.J. (2015) Rereading German history: from unification to reunification, 1800-1996. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Goodman, R.T., (2019) The Bloomsbury handbook of 21st-century feminist theory. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Butler, J., Gambetti, Z. & Sabsay, L. (2016) Vulnerability in resistance. Durham: Duke University Press
- Ignatow, G. (2020) Sociological theory in the digital age. 1st edn, New York, NY: Routledge.
- Hines, S. & Taylor, M. (2018) Is gender fluid?: a primer for the 21st century. London: Thames & Hudson.
- Cashmore, E. 2019, Kardashian culture: how celebrities changed life in the 21st century. 1st edn, Bingley: Emerald Publishing.
Don’t forget to keep checking the Temporary access to online resources page which is updated regularly with new resources.