UN International Mother Earth Day (sometimes called World Earth Day) is on the 22nd April. This day celebrates planet earth and its many interdependent ecosystems. The day reminds us each that we have a collective responsibility to live in harmony with nature and achieve sustainable balance.
The UN have developed a series of Sustainable Development Goals. These range from ensuring there is no poverty and zero hunger to protecting the seas and supporting clean water and sanitation. Following these will mean that everyone can enjoy and prosper in the world.
You can support International Mother Earth Day by making a few simple changes or doing some good deeds.
1. ABC = Always be carrying, whether it’s a reusable water bottle, a keep cup for take away coffee, or an extra bag for those last minute shopping trips. Don’t use single use plastic. It will end up in the ocean even if you bin it after use.
2. Plan meals carefully to avoid food waste or reuse uneaten food the next day.
3. Walking a few minutes each day is good for your physical and mental wellbeing. It can also support sustainability.
4. Grow a plant at home. Plants are good for clearing the air and it could also produce food. A chilli plant is easy to grow from either seeds or seedlings.
5. Switch off lights or devices when not in use. This is an easy one that any one can do.
Head to the City website to read more about the variety of schemes which City organises to ensure sustainability at City and to promote sustainable development in the community.