Blogs

Machine Learning Blog

Seminar by Dr. Carlos Eduardo Thomaz (30th September, 2015)

News, Seminar.

In the next Machine Learning Group seminar, we will have a talk by Dr. Carlos Eduardo Thomaz who is a Professor of Statistical Pattern Recognition at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Centro Universitario da FEI (FEI-SP), Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Venue: AG10 (College Building)

Date & Time: Sep 30, 2015 (12:00-13:00)

Title: A Photo-Realistic Generator of Most Expressive and Discriminant Changes in 2D Face Images

Abstract: In this talk, I will describe a photo-realistic generator that creates semi-automatically face images of unseen subjects. Unlike previously described methods for generating face imagery, this approach incorporates texture and shape in a single computational framework based on high dimensional encoding of variance and discriminant information from sample groups. The method produces realistic, frontal pose, images with minimum manual intervention, and might be a useful tool for face perception applications where privacy-preserving analysis is an issue and the goal is not the recognition of the face itself, but rather its characteristics like gender, age or race, commonly explored in social and forensic contexts.

Speaker Bio: I am Professor of Statistical Pattern Recognition at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Centro Universitario da FEI (FEI-SP), Sao Paulo, Brazil.  I am also a CNPq Research Fellow and head of the Image Processing Lab funded by FAPESP at FEI.  In 1993, I received my B.Sc. degree in Electronic Engineering from Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RJ), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  After working for six years in industry, I obtained the M.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering from PUC-RJ in 1999.  In October 2000, I joined the Department of Computing at Imperial College London where I obtained the Ph.D. degree in Statistical Pattern Recognition in 2004.  I was a Research Associate at the Department of Computing, Imperial College London, from December 2003 to January 2005 working in the UK EPSRC e-science project called Information eXtraction from Images (IXI).  In 2012, I was awarded a University of Nottingham Brazil Visiting Fellowship to work in the Sir Peter Mansfield Magnetic Resonance Centre from middle April to the first week of July. My general interests are in Statistical Pattern Recognition, Computer Vision, Medical Image Computing, and Machine Learning, whereas my specific research interests are in limited-sample-size problems in pattern recognition (Lattes cv, in portuguese).

Find us

City, University of London

Northampton Square

London EC1V 0HB

United Kingdom

Back to top

City, University of London is an independent member institution of the University of London. Established by Royal Charter in 1836, the University of London consists of 18 independent member institutions with outstanding global reputations and several prestigious central academic bodies and activities.