Research Funding Policy

Version: 20/08/2020

Update: Transition to online studies

In general, online studies can be funded in the same way as lab-based studies, using the same forms. Upon approval of a request, the account with the intended online service  (mturk, testable, …  see for more resources) will be credited using the department credit card. To have an account credited, please send Jay an email that contains

  • A link to the site that needs to be paid (and information on how to pay it if this isn’t obvious)
  • Any log in information that is needed to credit the account (i.e., your login information for the site)
  • The reference number of your approval from the research Committee (the PsyRc… number).

Policy for existing approvals

Existing funds that have been approved for lab-based studies can be used for online studies. No further request is necessary.

Staff members

Staff members who have received cash for lab-based studies should pay the online services they intend to use and reimburse themselves using the cash already obtained.

Ph.D. Students (policy cancelled due to budget cuts)

Ph.D. students who have received cash for lab-based studies can apply for new support for online studies even when this is for the same studies as they intended to do in the lab. To do so, they should submit a new request, noting in the request that their request is for an online version of the lab-based experiments they intended to do (as well as the reference for the previous approval). These additional requests will not count against their research allowance, but existing funds are expected to be spent for research purposes when this becomes possible.

General Principles

Within the overall aim of enhancing its overall REF performance, the Psychology Department has at its disposal a small budget to support the research and dissemination activities of staff members and research students.  This money is not available as of right, and is not unlimited. Staff members and students who contemplate seeking support from the Committee should bear in mind the need to seek support from bodies outside the Department. To this end, the Committee looks more favourably on requests that are accompanied by evidence that external support has been sought, even if unsuccessfully. Requests should also be accompanied by information indicating how the proposed money will lead to enhanced REF performance, either by increasing the chances of major grant income, by presentation at prestigious international conferences or by publication in high impact-factor journals.


Anyone seeking financial support from the Committee must first make a request on the appropriate form. Forms will be sent out to members of the Department at the beginning of each academic year and can be downloaded from; the appropriate form can be chosen by following the algorithm below. A reference number will be allocated prior to being forwarded to the Chair and/or the Committee for consideration.  Claims for reimbursement must be made through Finance, which will then require a final approval by the Chair or Head of Department. Retrospective requests for funding normally will not be considered.  Requests for funding at short notice may be taken by Chair’s Action with the agreement of one member of the Research Committee. For staff with PI or overheads accounts, funding may be given as long as a justification has been provided as to the use of these funds for other purposes.  Generally speaking, the Committee will normally grant funding when the use of PI accounts for other research purposes has been satisfactorily justified. In cases where this has not happened, the applicant will be asked to use their PI (or other funds) to cover expenses. Expenses for all travel/conferences and research costs approved by the Research Committee should be charged against budget code SP400. Requests for equipment should be requested through IS (centralised equipment budget).

Impact Development and Knowledge Transfer

The school offers funds for Impact Development and Knowledge Transfer. The Research Committee would expect applicants to seek out these resources (where applicable) before applying to the Research Committee. More information can be found in the SASS Research Handbook. Fundable activities include:

Impact development

  • Contribution to the cost of events for non-academic audiences to support user uptake.
  • Workload buyout for specific Case Study development.
  • Assistance to secure underpinning publications and evidence of Impact.
  • Support for collecting and evidencing changes in behaviour or practice in order to capture impact.
  • Specific actions to increase, better evidence and narrate significance and reach.
  • Support for engaging with stakeholders.
  • Summative and formative tracking of impact.

Support is provided up £6,000. The application form can be downloaded here.

Knowledge Exchange

  • Collaborative Research (with public funding and at least one non-university partner)
  • Contract Research
  • Consultancy
  • Contribution to the cost of events and conferences for non-academic audiences to support user uptake.
  • Short secondments into/out of commercial, public and third-sector organisations.
  • Contribution to the development and ‘proof of concept’ of tools, products and services (this could include commercialisation, which could lead to further support from Central Research & Enterprise).
  • Creating and executing new ways of engaging/involving service users with your research. IP income.
  • Workshops/training/CPD for non-academic end users, where our research is a core feature.
  • Support for collecting and evidencing changes in behaviour or practice in order to capture impact.

Support is provided up £5,000. The application form can be downloaded here.

Equipment requests

Equipment of less than £300

For equipment costing less than £300, please contact Peter B.

Lab consumables

The Research Committee can pay for lab consumables (e.g., EEG gel). If your lab requires such consumables, please submit a request at most once per year using the habitual Research Support Request form for staff. This request should cover all studies you or your students undertake during this year. Requests for lab consumables from students will be rejected, as they should not need to use up their research allowance for consumables their supervisor can provide.

Equipment of more than £300

We collect equipment request for equipment that costs more than £300 through a department-wide wish list. Please enter provide information about your needs in the Equipment Request Form. The Research Committee will then prioritize the request, based on information such as whether the equipment will be used for a one-off experiment or on an ongoing basis, whether it will be used by a single experimenter or more widely shared, whether it is useful for teaching, and whether it is useful to generate impact. The Research Committee will also take into consideration departmental research priorities. We will then forward the requests to IT. Please note that you might be asked to write a business case for your request at a later date, but for compiling the initial wish list, we request only minimal information. As a result, shorter is better.


Staff Research Costs for Projects with Real-World Implications

If you have a project that has real-world implications (e.g., for society, individuals, health care, ….), please draft a brief summary in this form to alert the Development and Alumni Relations Team. They will check if they can match you with a funder that might not be on your radar.

Staff Research Costs

Eligible categories of research costs include but are not limited to:

  • Participant payments. Payments should be calculated at approximately £9 per hour, with a minimum payment of £5.
  • Specialised equipment/software (if it cannot be provided by IT).
  • Casual research assistance. In general, research assistance would be expected to be covered by grants. However, the committee will consider bids for small amounts of research assistance provided that (1) the resulting work is a high probability of being published and (2) a justification is provided for why research assistance is required.

All such claims should present a brief, clear account of the proposed work and what conference presentations and/or research papers might result from the work and will be considered on an individual basis. In all cases, a case must be made for how the proposed work will enhance the REF profile of the department. Staff are expected to apply for external funding, and evidence for this should accompany any requests to the Committee. If no such support was sought, applicants should say why. External sources include RCUK and the Wellcome Trust.

Link to the Research Support Request (staff)

Staff Attendance at Conferences

Permanent, academic staff may apply for funding to attend conferences. The support is limited to a maximum amount per fiscal year (1st August – 31st July) that is revised annually (currently £2000).  It is expected that the applicant will present at the conference, that the conference contributes to REF 5 statements, and that the applicant is able to justify existing funds in PI account(s). Academic roles and responsibilities of the applicant will also be taken into consideration.  Funding can cover travel, registration, accommodation and a £52.50 per diem allowance. For those with caring responsibilities, additional caring-related costs accrued as a direct result of conference attendance may be requested, at a rate that respects market norms. Applications must be approved in advance. Additional requests for conference funding will be considered according to the status of the Research budget and evidence of support from external sources.  Limited support (e.g. travel only) may be offered.

Link to the conference Support Application Form

For overseas travel, please read the school overseas travel policy and fill out the corresponding risk assessment form.

Publication Charges and Open Access Fees

Instead of asking for support for conference travel, staff may also request support for publication costs. Such requests may be considered provided the request is made in advance of submission to the journal, is likely to result in a 4* publication and is accompanied by a reasoned case in support of the application. This case should state why a pay-to-publish journal has been selected and how publication in this journal would enhance the applicant’s career profile, particularly in relation to the Department’s REF submission. When submitting a request for publication costs, please list all journals you consider submitting to and request the fees at every submission/rejection cycle.

Link to the Publication Fee Support Application Form

As a general rule, the Committee will not support requests for open access charges or publication costs. For the purposes of the REF, green access is all that is required and this is satisfied by placing a prepublication version of the accepted paper on CRO. For those whose papers have received external funding either by the Wellcome Trust or RCUK, funds for gold access are provide via a separate route within the University. To access these funds, please contact the Head of Research Support. In other cases, open access fees might be covered by other sources. For example, academics at City are covered by an agreement with Wiley for their journals.

Postgraduate Research Students

PhD Students

Research Costs

PhD students may apply for research expenses of up to £1,000 during the duration of their course using the appropriate form (see accompanying flowchart). The eligible expense categories are the same as for Staff Research Cost.  Students who wish to apply for more than £1,000 in research costs throughout the duration of their registration period should apply through their supervisor. Prospective research students are required to draw up a budget with the help of their supervisor before being accepted into the Department As for members of staff, students are required to seek external sources of funding both for research costs and conference expenses.  Evidence of seeking such funding or reasons why it has not been sought must accompany every claim to the Committee.

Link to the Research Support Request (students)

Attendance at Conferences

PhD students may also apply for support to attend conferences, provided that they are presenting. They can generally expect a conference budget of £1,500 for the duration of their course. This support will be provided in addition to any request for support for research expenses. Fully funded means travel, registration, accommodation and a £50 per diem. All claims must be approved in advance and supported with receipts.  Additional requests for support to attend conferences may be considered on merit.

Link to the conference Support Application Form

For overseas travel, please read the school overseas travel policy and fill out the corresponding risk assessment form.

DPsych students

DPsych students can apply for up to £500 from the Research Committee for research cost or towards conference attendance at which they are presenting a paper. Evidence of having sought external funding must accompany each claim.  A case must be made for how the requested resources will lead to publication in a high impact paper and will enhance the research reputation of the Department.

Additional research funding can be made available upon request by the supervisor, depending on fund availability.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email