Blogs

My experience – Speech and Language Therapy at City

Finding love at university – not a guaranteed method

Uncategorized , , , , , , , , , , .

When exploring my potential university options, I would visit campuses in hope of experiencing a connection and knowing which university was ‘The One’ as soon I stepped through the doors. That did not happen. What did happen, was me increasing my step count on countless university tours, and realising how many Tescos there are in the UK. During the campus tours I found myself consistently hearing this word  – ‘society’.

There seemed to be this mystical thing called a ‘society’. This thing apparently guaranteed friends, fun and free food (occasionally). I kept hearing things like: “Join a society… you can even make your own society… societies are where I made my friends… join this society!”

Having not known many people who went to university growing up, I really was unsure what a society was. Now, three years in to my degree and with one year spent as the finance manager of the Speech and Language Therapy Society I am quite clued up. For this blog I have enlisted the help of Aadam, a recent graduate who has dabbled in a few societies during his time at City.

Thank you for joining me Aadam, I know you’ve been involved in many societies during your time at university. In your words what would you say a society is?

A society is a place for people to make friends and meet new people. In my experience, a lot of the people that turn up to a society don’t have an interest in what that particular society does. It’s mainly about socialising for them.

Which societies did you join?

I joined the Gaming Society in first and second year. During my third year I went to the Pakistani Society and ISOC (Islamic Society).

Aadam on a recent trip to Scaffel Pike with the Islamic Society

How did being in a society impact your university experience?

Being in a society changed my whole university experience. I met one of my now closest friends, and my best university memories are with her. Through her, I was even able to find a part-time job to fit around my studies. The best part is that I fell in love at a society!

That’s adorable, a true university romance! Now to finish off, would you recommend societies to other students?

I would recommend getting involved in as many societies as you can handle because you can never have too many friends. Societies will usually host at least one major event or outing every year, and these do not disappoint. I’d also recommend trying to get involved in the committee of a society if you have the time. That’s another way to get to know the people of your society more, but can also help you to develop transferable skills.

Wonderful, thank you Aadam for your time!

Fun fact: a member of the mountaineering society (I have been told) placed a rubber duck on top of the gazebo in Northampton Square. After being removed one day it reappeared the next and has not been taken down since, and neither has the culprit (or hero) been found! Go see if you can spot it!

If you want to find out more about societies at City, University of London then check out this link:: https://www.citystudents.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/

Come to the Welcome Fair to speak to society members and grab some freebies…

19-20th September 2019
Business Design Centre, 52 Upper Street, Angel, N1 0QH 4SP