Did you know City spent a whopping £1.5 million on electricity in 2016-17?! We share our top tips for saving energy and making your IT use more environmentally friendly.
1. Turn your monitor off when you leave your desk
Your monitor uses one third of your PC’s total energy consumption, so switching it off can make a huge difference!
2. Set your computer to automatically go to sleep after 10 minutes
A computer uses somewhere between 60-300 watts when it’s in use, but only 1-6 watts in sleep mode. To set your PC to automatically go to sleep:
- Open Power Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.
- Under Power Options, click Change power-saving settings
- Choose the display and sleep settings that you want to use – we recommend setting it to sleep after 10 minutes
- For more options, click “Change advanced power settings”
- When you’re done click OK or save changes.
3. Opt for the hibernate mode if you want your session to be saved
If you want to pick up from where you left off on your emails or documents, opt for the hibernate mode– it saves your session and turns off your computer, meaning your session is restored when you turn it back on.