So, future plans! It can be a stressful thing to think about and try to plan, either on a short-term or long-term basis. However, with careful and effective preparation, the process can go smoothly.

In this blog, I will share my experiences and advice about how I have been and currently am preparing for my future plans. These will be categorised into three sections: Course Preparation; University Support; and Career Options.

Course preparation

I am an aspiring Barrister currently on the LLM Bar Vocational Studies (with Advanced Civil Practice) at The City Law School. At the beginning of the year, as with every course, I was given a course handbook that details everything I need to know for my degree. I would advise you to read every page of your handbook thoroughly, take notes if needed, and always refer back to it if you have any questions that need to be answered.

I had and still am following my own advice – it has really worked for me in terms of the preparation I have done for each of my modules in relation to my plans. By using each of the resources that have been outlined within the handbook, and which I am required to complete for each tutorial, I have been able to identify the knowledge and skills I need to be continuously obtaining through available work experience.

University support

At City, I have access to a range of services and extracurricular activities that are helping me to prepare for my future plans. For example, I have applied for this year’s pupillage round and the information and guidance on City’s Pupillage Advisory Service has offered a range of services such as mock interviews and 1:1 mentoring that will aid in the progression of my pupillage application process.

I would highly recommend attending a pupillage workshop. You gain so much insightful knowledge from key speakers who have gone through the process themselves, and who may even have had experience on the Pupillage Committee. They are able to explain:

1. How the pupillage application process works
  2. The do’s and don’ts when completing your application
  3. How to prepare for interviews.

Another example is the Careers Service. My main aim is to become a Barrister, and among other skills, a Barrister should have the competency to not only advocate their case in court properly but to also represent their client in a professional manner.

It was through the Careers Service that I found out about being a Student Ambassador. Now amongst other roles, I am an EDI Representative at City developing transferable skills which will be beneficial after my graduation.

Career options

I initially wanted to become a Criminal Barrister. It had been my focus since I was 16 years old. Now, as I study for my postgraduate degree, and since the final year in my undergraduate degree, I have gained a great interest in the Employment and Civil legal practices.

Final advice

Your course handbook – study it, utilise it and put it into effect. It will prove to be very useful when researching for work experience and jobs in relation to the career role you desire to become established in.

Get involved with the volunteering and paying roles that City has to offer to continuously progress with your knowledge and skills. Whether it is transferable or directly relating to the Bar course, every skill attained will be useful.

Keep your career options broad in terms of the type of legal practices you wish to establish your profession in at an early stage. This will allow you to seek opportunities in all of your interests, and based on the insights gained, you can narrow down your options to the main legal practices of your choice.

I hope I have been able to provide insight into how City is helping me to prepare for my future plans and I wish you the very best of luck in your course and future.

Written by Olubusola, LLM Bar Vocational Studies student at The City Law School