Meet an International Business student

A bit about me

I’m Samantha – I’m an international student, originally from Venezuela who decided to move to London and chase my passion in International Business as a career pathway. I believe what makes my university experience unique is the fact I have been myself every step of the way. This is key as you can easily get caught on focusing on other’s work and journey. Certainly, the people I have come across these past 3 years have made my journey a more joyful one, so make sure to pick the right people to share your ups and downs with 

International Business it is a very demanding and competitive degree, but if you are passionate that it will give you the pillar and gateway to your bright and exciting future, then do not let anyone tell you otherwise!

The most interesting thing about my degree is the variety of backgrounds of my teachers. They are all from different parts of the world which makes modules more dynamic as I can see the world through their stories and knowledge.  

My favourite thing about university

What I like the most of City is the welcoming and warm community it has. The nice staff I have come across with and the friends it has given me has made it my second home. Just by the fact it has so many spaces to do whatever you like, including napping, seeds that feeling of belonging within me. 

Facilities are spacious enough and you get to meet people from everywhere around the world – it is quite mind-blowing how an institution can gather and bond people in ideals, values and ethics. City has done that for me, it aligned me with people who have brought the best version of myself and offered me its doors to put into practice my creativity, hard work and sacrifice in everything I do.  

Housing for the past 3 years

There is nothing to hide – London is a pretty big deal but incredibly expensive. I lived under budget for a while, thus decided to take a part-time job as a waitress during my 1st year and then become part of City’s Ambassador scheme in my 2nd year.

Because I was and still am dependent on my parents financially, I first moved to student accommodation located 45 minutes away from university, quite far I know, but at the time it was what I could afford. Commuting to university was indeed a journey.

My days started at 7am when I had to be in class at 9.

Even though I did not enjoy the London traffic during rush hour, I did try to make the best out of my journey. It was the perfect gap for me to listen to my favourite tunes, revise before an exam or just randomly look through the bus window for hidden places to grab a nice meal.   

During my 2nd year of studies, before the whole pandemic mess started, I luckily had the chance to move out to a bigger flat with my sister. It seemed that everything was falling into place for me even when the world was sort of falling apart, ironic isn’t it? They say obstacles are opportunities re-directing you into the right path, so look at the bright side even on your darkest days. 

How many days a week do I attend university?

This really depends. During my 1st year I used to attend university 5 days a week. Once I progressed to 2nd year, the amount of teaching hours were reduced as teachers expected more self-study for some modules. I could attend 3 days a week for my lectures, and the spare days I would often head to library or discover new coffee shops to study and revise – Sourced Market in Barbican is worth to check it out!

I strongly suggest you discover the city in your days off.

There is no doubt, dedicating time to study and revise it is important, but… it is also important to enjoy everything London is offering you!

Like finding a new restaurant, going for a long walk or visiting a museum.  There are countless things you can do in London, so make the most out of your first years by getting lost in the city.

This is how the best memories are made.  

Samantha is a second year student studying International Business, who loves taking time to meditate and connect with her inner self and with nature.