Meet a Midwifery student

Hello! My name is Amani and I am a first year Midwifery student from London.

My journey to midwifery has not been a straightforward one!

MIdwifery student in her uniformAfter studying A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English literature, I decided to study Biology at university as it was my favourite subject at the time. However, my first term of studying biology at university showed me that it wasn’t the subject for me.

I’ve always been a hands-on, practical learner so I wanted to find a degree course that had a big practical element. I decided to undertake work experience in many different fields, and I found my vocation; Midwifery. 

Midwifery is a career that combines my passion for biology and my desire to help and care for people.   

The course is divided into two types of learning: theory and placement. 

Throughout theory blocks we are expected to attend lectures and tutorials. Placement blocks consists of 37.5 hours of placement a week at a hospital or clinical setting. During these shifts we act as “mini midwives”; caring for pregnant women, delivering babies and looking after families. Shifts can be as long as 13 hours! And we are expected to work on weekends and have nightshifts.

My favourite thing about studying midwifery at university is definitely the placement aspect. It’s a privilege to be able to care for women at such a significant moment in their lives.  

Midwifery is a really demanding course, therefore maintaining a good work life balance is essential.

It is really important to do activities to relax and destress. In my spare time I like to crochet and read. I also like to spend my free time relaxing with friends.

At City we have a fantastic students union who host lots of events and activities for students to attend. This is a great way to relax and also meet new people! As I commute to university and live at home with my family, I love attending events as it allows me to meet more people outside of my course.  

One of my favourite things about City is the location.

Studying in London means that you can enjoy all the sights and attractions the city has to offer. It also means you’re studying with people from all over the world. City university has a diverse population of students, which gives you an amazing opportunity to learn about different cultures and traditions from around the world!  

Midwifery is a wonderful and rewarding career, with lots of ups as well as down. To track my journey, I also run an Instagram blog which can be found here. This has been a great platform to document my journey whilst also talking about topics I am passionate about.

Overall my experience of university and midwifery has been an overwhelmingly positive one and I am excited to grow and develop as a midwife.

Amani is a first year student studying Midwifery who loves to knit and crochet!