Meet a Child Nursing student

Nadia is a second-year undergraduate student studying BSc Children’s Nursing who has been skydiving twice, and intends to go a lot more! 

Nadia

Hi everyone! I’m Nadia and I’m a second-year child nursing student.

This course has made me 50% human and 50% zombie, but I wouldn’t change a thing because this course is both unique and enjoyable and putting me one step closer to my career!

My journey to be a university student

In sixth form I did both A-Levels and a BTEC course. The A-levels I took were in Biology and Psychology alongside a Health and Social Care BTEC course. This combination of subjects meant I undertook both exams and assignments, which equally prepared me for university life. The results I received from these subjects equalled to the amount of UCAS points I needed to get into this particular degree.

World mapI didn’t join the university at 18 as I took a gap year and joined when I was 19 as I wanted to travel. Within this gap year I managed to travel to various countries including Dubai, Morocco, Greece, and many others. This gap year  built my confidence massively as I was taking a big leap, as most of my friends were heading off to university; however, I was the supposed ‘odd’ one out. This did scare me at first, but once I got into my gap year I managed to see sights and places I never even dreamed possible. It was worth taking a big leap of faith.

How is my course laid out?

My course consists of both placement and theory, which means throughout the year I attend placements in places such as hospitals, clinics, schools, and also attend university for my lectures, seminars, and tutorials.

When I am in university my timetable is roughly 3 days a week, unless I have simulated practice which consists of coming in 5 days that week. Simulated practice is when you practice the skills you have learnt in your lectures and seminars in a clinical setting in the university which is made up to mirror real hospital wards and facilities.

Throughout this degree I am not just assessed via exams, I am assessed through written exams and practical exams which consists of performing clinical skills that I have learnt in front of an assessor, and written assignments alongside being assessed through my placements via observed clinical skills. I need to pass each of these components combined each year to progress successfully to the next year. They are not all assessed at one time they are spaced out through the year to ensure there is enough preparation time for each assessment period.

My part-time job

Being a student means you don’t always have money to spare so I have a part-time job. Luckily for me, I managed to get a part-time job with the university that works alongside my studies/workload.

The part-time job that I have is working as a Widening Participation Ambassador. This job consists of acting as a role model for young people providing support and assistance concerning the university, by taking part in tasks such as mentoring, presenting, acting as guides for younger students who come to the university.

This role is perfect for me as I can pick and choose the events that I assist with which means I don’t have to compromise my studies, whilst also getting paid, which helps with expenses such as travelling, food, and educational supplies.

Everyone’s route to university is going to be different, but it’s what you do both along the way and as a student that counts.