Why I went to university to study Law

Laiyba is a third year Law student who is interested in interior design, and has been working on house projects focused on a minimalistic style.

I am a third year Law student. In this blog, I will tell you why I decided to study at university and what informed my decision to go to university.

I can understand how difficult the process can be deciding if university is the right option for you, because there is so much information. But do not to worry! I will share my experience and hopefully help you have a good idea about whether you would like to join the exciting university life!

What influenced my decision

The first time I thought about university was at my nerve wracking yet informative 6th form interview.

My interviewer questioned me strongly if I had thought about what subject I wanted to do for my degree. I was completely blank! But I replied with honesty that I was going to think about having a degree once my A-Levels were over. But I was fascinated when they informed me that for a specific degree, I might need certain A-Level subjects.

After getting this information, I went home to do my research into what degree subjects I wanted to do. After a lot of research, the subject Law seemed interesting, and the idea of becoming a lawyer seemed fantastic! Also, I had selected Law for 6th form, where it made me curious about the subject, and I wanted to learn more. This made me confident that I wanted to study Law at a degree level to become a lawyer.

My important considerations

1. Moving into halls

Personally, I was very dependent upon my family. I knew the decision of moving into university halls would allow me to be independent and attain new skills. This discussion took place mainly with my family, who had conflicting ideasEventually, I decided that I wanted to live out. The decision I made was excellent as the experience of living out in student halls has allowed me to be independent. Also made me grow as a person by gaining new skills such as money management. 

2. Finances

I was baffled about this matter, and the discussions between my friends on how the tuition fees for university worked. But it was university open days which made me understand how the tuition fees work and how you repay it back…

Your tuition fees can be paid through Student Finance which is governmental website that allows students to borrow a loan with specific interest rate. You will pay this back at a certain threshold from your income after you graduate and are in employment. Currently, the income threshold is £26,575 a year. The loan will go out automatically from the tax and they will only take 9% every month from your salary. What you haven’t paid off after 30 years is written off.

3. Meeting new people

I was very nervous about meeting new people as the time got near to move out for university.

I had a lot of doubts about whether I would be comfortable living out and if I would be able to make new friends. However, once I was there, the atmosphere of the university and the halls was very welcoming. Most of the other first year students were feeling the same way as I was, which allowed connection and friendships to go a long way.

City also has a City Buddy scheme for first year students where the second year students or above can be your mentor and help you adjust into university life.

My favourite aspect of university

City provides incredible support for their students. I was able to get a free career consultation appointment through the Careers Service, where they helped with my CV, including constructive criticism on how to improve it.

I also received fantastic support to help with my learning difficulty from the Neurodiversity team. The university cares about its students by paying  attention to their views on how to improve the university. 

You can read more my experience studying with Dyslexia and the support I received.

Find out about other Law students at City: Anas’s law degree experience, Emily’s law degree experience, and how to boost your personal statement for law courses.

Read more about Laiyba and her experience studying with Dyslexia and more about Laiyba’s law degree and university experience.

You can read Emily’s experience about making friends at uni

And we have lots of posts on managing your money at uni: