The Big House

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of football?
An England vs Spain game? or maybe even ManU vs Arsenal?

Well, football in America has a whole new definition! To American’s, football = American Football and it’s the greatest sport ever! (well, at least according to them). So if you do end up visiting the States, make sure to get your terms correct. As for the football we (non-Americans) generally talk about, in the States, its referred to as Soccer more specifically.

American football is a lot like rugby, (but then again it’s also quite different). It’s probably the best topic to start off a conversation with any American.  I realized that during my semester at Michigan. Moreso because Michigan is home to the biggest American Football stadium in the USA, most commonly referred to as The Big House! And each and every student at U of M,  sports fan or not feels a close sense of attachment to the sport and the home team. It was definitely a major highlight of my semester at Ross.

Fortunately, I was able to get my hands on a season pass, giving me access to all 6 home games. I went to 3 of them as I was traveling during the others. But well, I did end up making some good money on the ones I missed and had to sell off. So going over a quick run through of what a Typical Game Day in Michigan would seem like:

8am – 11.45am: Tailgating – Tailgates are a major highlight pre-game events! They are massive street and frat parties across the entire town of Ann Arbor. Drinks, music and a whole lot of fun! Once you step out of your home on a typical game day, you could easily get lost in the midst of Maize and Blue (the Michigan colors).  The party music and the people on the streets would all direct you towards the sense of patriotism for the home team! Trust me, this isn’t just like any other fandom you would come across! EVERY SINGLE PERSON gets involved! It’s that one day, that the whole town of Ann Arbor comes out to support its favorite team! Students, parents, professors, children and all other locales come together running the streets in tune of “GO BLUE! or GO HOME!”

Outside The Big House

By about 11:30am the crowd heads towards The Big House to watch the pre-game marching band show followed by Kickoff at 12pm (If it’s an afternoon game). The stadium atmosphere is ecstatic! Big screens up, marching band in position and we’re all ready to get the show started! Starting with a motivational video about The Big House, Michigan’s achievements and inspirational coach speeches the crowd is all geared up. This is followed up by an extravagant performance by the Michigan band performing to the Michigan Anthem as the crowd sings along and finally gives a huge round of applause and welcome to the home team followed by the competitor for the day.

The Michigan Marching Band

It took me a while to understand the game but the environment just got me so fired up, that within minutes I saw myself as a big-time Michigan supporter, screaming my lungs out and singing along to the different tunes. Cheerleaders and the band boosted the team morale every step of the game. All throughout the game, there were various game-day specific songs and anthems that the crowd sang in unison.  It was undoubtedly a very very long game that probably went on till about 4pm, but the experience was truly unforgettable, one I am going to cherish forever!

Myself with some of my Exchange friends from Spain, Lebanon, and Germany.

GO Blue!

Rashi Shah
BBA Exchange at the University of Michigan,
Ross School of Business