Collegiate sports in America is taken very seriously and is one of the ways in which students are able to attend the institutions they want as well as play the sports they love. I’ve been to a few sports games since I arrived and I can say I absolutely love the school spirit and the vibe surrounding the sports teams at UMD. Being a sports fanatic, one of the things on my list of things to do is to attend as many sports events as possible.  One major difference is the popularity of sports at the college level which I feel in the UK is not taken as seriously as professional sports. Being in the US has been an adjustment but I’ve decided to go with the flow by learning the vernacular they use.  Football to me much like the rest of the world is referred to as “soccer” and “American football” is simply just football.

I’ve also been to the multiple basketball, football and soccer games. One thing I can say is that my university spends a lot of money on collegiate sports and make sure that as students the experience is worthwhile. The best thing thought is that all school sports events are FREE for STUDENTS!!!The families in College Park and surrounding areas come out to watch the games. They tailgate football games which basically means hanging outside of the football stadium, drink beverages and grill food. We get free goodies too!!! I think I am on track to starting a t-shirt collection. One of my favorites so far is one I got at the first home football game which was a shirt for senior and on it was the Michael Jordan crying meme but his face was replaced with our school mascot, Testudo.

These are some of the pictures I took at sports events.

Soccer games with the men’s soccer team being one of the best in the NCAA

Basketball and Football games

I hope to attend more sports events in the Spring semester too.

G