The Gender and Sexualities Research Centre

City, University of London

Dr Koen Slootmaeckers

Senior Lecturer in International Politics

What role do LGBT rights play in the EU enlargement process? Is the promotion of LGBT rights by the EU a means to re-affirm its own identity? How do candidate countries respond to such promotion of LGBT rights? How does changes in legislation impact LGBT people in candidate countries? These are all questions I am currently tacking in my forthcoming monograph Coming In: Sexuality Politics and EU Accession in Serbia (Manchester University Press). As this monograph project draws to a close, I am slowly shifting my attention to the transnational politics of Pride Parades. Here, I am very interested in the meaning of Pride to activists in different contexts (particularly the Western Balkans) and how the relate to, challenge and/or transform the history and global practices of Pride organising.

My work is very much driven my own personal life experiences in which struggles for belonging played a key role in shaping my identities. As such, I am particularly interested in the processes of Othering, and how sexuality and masculinities play a role in maintaining symbolic boundaries. With a background in sociology, I started these explorations by looking at attitudes towards homosexuality. When I made my disciplinary move to international politics, I continued to research these boundaries, but with a focus on how sexuality and gender processes play a role in establishing and maintaining normative hierarchies in international politics. In my work, I aim to bring these practices in question and seek to understand how they impact the lived experiences of LGBT people.

sbrp126 • July 8, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post