Blogs

International Student Blog

My typical week as an international student at City

Postgraduate, School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering , .

Hello there,

In this blog post I’ll be giving you an insight into what goes on in my life at City as an international student. Firstly I must say there is really no “typical day”, there’s a lot of autonomy as a master’s student so you have to plan how you want to structure your day.

As an MSc Business Systems Analysis and Design student, my lectures take place two or three days a week. I think my lecture days are my happiest days because I get to meet a lot of people at school, I see familiar faces and the lectures rooms are so well-designed you don’t even want to leave.

I serve as one of the programme representatives, which means getting feedback from my cohort on issues with lectures or the general school experience, which I then feedback to staff during committee and School meetings. It has also given me the platform to implement initiatives to improve student development with the help of the City Student’s Union.

When I’m not in lectures, planning this or that, or attending an informative event found on Eventbrite, you just might find me in the library. The 6th floor in particular is my favourite, with ‘Silence’ written in different languages on the pillars. I found that really amusing the first time I walked in. See for yourself!

City’s library 6th floor!

Thinking of how to support yourself financially? Say no more with Unitemps to the rescue! Unitemps is the student recruitment agency over here at City, once you’re registered with them you get to apply to the jobs posted (which happens regularly). I’ve worked various interesting student roles here and I get paid on time too. There are also a number of high-end retail shops nearby that can offer part-time roles. It’s an amazing opportunity to make new friends and interact more with the locals. Who knows? You just might get the British accent 🙂

On weekends, I go to church at Hillsong or Jesus House. It’s so amazing to find a place of worship you really feel comfortable with, especially when you’re in a new environment.

That wraps up the week for me. As always, if you have any other questions aside the points discussed above, please feel free to comment below.

About Ibukunoluwa Ogundipe

Hello everyone, my name is Ibukunoluwa which is quite long to be honest so I’d prefer you call me Ibk. I'm an international student from Nigeria studying Business Analysis at City University. My love for analytics and data-driven insights brought me to London. *wide grin* When I'm not in class or working, you'll find me singing or making some DIY items. View all posts by Ibukunoluwa Ogundipe →