back

2012/13: A very brief retrospective.

Some girls like shoes and handbags.  Some girls like diamonds.  I like stationery.  I’m very excited at the moment because I’m about to purchase a new academic year diary.  This does beg the question, however, of what has happened to 2012/13.   I’m pretty sure it’s only been a week or two since I got to City.  On the other hand, Christmas must have been about fifty years ago.

In a bit to preserve whatever sense of time I have left, here are my top five best and worst bits about the year:

Worst:
Money (lack of).  The time I had a cold but couldn’t afford to buy Lemsip – that was a bad day.
Time (lack of).  Babies have been born, lives have been changed, the average day remains fixed at 24 hours.  To compensate, I’ve been filling myself with coffee and eyedrops at my desk for several months.
Weather (excess of).  When my grandchildren complain about the cold, I will say “ah, now 2012/13 was a winter.  Not like these winters you get now.”  They will roll their eyes and groan, but we know the truth…
Public sector cuts.  I’d like to work in a hospital when I qualify, but at this rate there’ll be none left.  The whole thing is really sad and also quite scary.
The tube.  Self-explanatory.

Best:
Geekery.  Now that I’m about thirty, I don’t have to act embarrassed about how I find learning really exciting.  Which is nice.
People.  I hadn’t expected to make friends while studying, but actually I’ve met some excellent people and I feel very fortunate to know them.  I don’t think I could do this without social support, especially the kind that happens at…
Happy hour in Saddlers.  I would also like to give a shout out to the microwave there.  It made the winter more bearable.
London.  It’s got everything.  I do like living in a holiday destination.  And actually you can do quite a lot for cheap or free, if you hunt around a bit.
Clinical Placement.  This is basically Applied Geekery.  It’s the hardest thing I have ever done in my whole life and I love it.

Just think, all I have to do is do this all again, and then I’ll be qualified!