A message from City President, Professor Sir Anthony Finkelstein

Photo of President Professor Sir Anthony Finkelstein.2023 is in full flow!

At your University, we have an exciting and challenging year ahead as we put City’s new Strategy, finalised at the end of last year, into action. I am very grateful that so many staff, alumni and students engaged with the consultation. I hope the key messages: ‘leaders for the world of work’, ‘research at the frontier of practice’, ‘open and engaged, the opposite of an ivory tower’ resonate with you. The Strategy and associated Action Plan gives us a clear roadmap for the future and outlines the deliverables for each of a number of workstreams.

Colleagues across City are now in the process of discussing and incorporating our new Strategy and Action Plan into our work and consider how we all can contribute to its delivery. Our Strategy is an important and necessary evolution, that builds on City’s strengths and our compelling and distinctive mission.

I look forward to keeping you updated on the latest developments as the year unfolds. I am also looking forward to meeting many of you in person at forthcoming alumni events. I would like to take this opportunity to thank our Alumni Ambassadors and regional and special interest groups for their tireless efforts organising activities and gatherings for City alumni around the world – throughout the pandemic and now again in person. I am sure I will meet many of you and can personally thank you in the months and years ahead.

On campus, more than 2,500 of our students celebrated graduating from City during ceremonies at the Barbican last week. I would like to extend a warm welcome to our new graduates, who have now joined City’s global alumni network. Your success, and the role that City colleagues as well as many of your fellow alumni have played in helping you to achieve it, fills me with pride and gratitude.

To our new graduates and to you all, my very best wishes for a healthy, prosperous and successful 2023.

I hope you enjoy reading this edition of Alumni News.

Best wishes,
Anthony
President
City, University of London