Jaizzail Ofori (LLB 2020) – making the case for facing challenges

Following successful completion of an LLB degree at City in 2020 and further studies in International, Corporate and Commercial Law at King’s College London, Jaizzail Ofori is now back at City to pursue his professional dream via the Bar Vocational Studies. This recent achievement has been made possible by securing an 11KBW scholarship to help finance this latest step towards the career as a barrister that Jaizzail has nurtured since his teens. He recounts the various challenges he has faced to reach where he is today.

What attracted you to the legal profession?

My desire to become a barrister started at the age of 14 when I ran an election campaign for the Office of Newham Young Mayor and became a Youth Councillor. I was drawn to the art of advocacy and persuasion, I spoke on the radio, social media and delivered my manifesto at schools to persuade young people to vote for me. At 16, while studying for my A-levels, my father also began studying for a law degree, and I found that he and I invariably discussed contract and tort cases and principles that he was learning. After participating in moots, mini-pupillages, marshalling judges, interning, and working at law firms, it was apparent to me that the Bar best captured what I aspired to – to advocate in respect of complex and intellectually challenging points of fact and law, spar with witnesses, and think on my feet in response to opposing counsel and judicial intervention.

However, all of this was against the backdrop of growing up in a socio-economically deprived area. This environment posed challenges such as peer pressure to participate in gang culture and illegitimate activities. I was adamant on my story being different.

What made you choose City for your law studies?

First and foremost, I felt that City Law School had a genuine commitment to teaching advocacy to a high level and connecting students to other aspiring lawyers. As I was keen on becoming a barrister, I thought that it would be invaluable to learn from some of the leading academics.

Secondly, the friendly, supportive, and nurturing environment at City. My A-Level Sociology teacher had studied at City previously, and she described the University in exactly that way, which proved to be very much the case! The lecturers were available around the clock, answering my questions, and giving useful advice. It was more than just education, but rather teaching us how to become great lawyers.

Last but not least, the City Law School’s historical connection with the Inns of Court. The School offered great insight into how to obtain scholarships and how best to present your CV for such applications.

You were recently awarded the 11KBW scholarship to help fund your Bar Vocational Studies at City. How did this come about?

After being unsuccessful the previous year, undeterred I applied again this year, and it worked! Securing this kind of scholarship requires a lot of perseverance as it’s a very competitive (in the healthy sense of the word) environment. Hundreds of applicants apply and only four or so candidates are shortlisted across the UK. To get through you have to display great advocacy and reasoning skills as well as intellectual ability.

To be honest, it’s not the first time I have had to find the determination as well as the resources to fund my studies and future career plan. Not having the financial means to undertake a Masters in International Corporate and Commercial Law, I launched a fundraising campaign to help finance the cost. I successfully crowdfunded £6,000, self-funded £4,000 and obtained a government loan for £10,000. It’s been a slog at times but it’s all good character-building stuff!

The 11KBW scholarship is awarded specifically to black Law students. Is accessibility to the legal profession still an issue?

Certainly, while the situation is improving, there is still a significant journey ahead. A gradual shift towards diversity and inclusion is evident, yet a deep-rooted adherence to tradition persists, particularly within the commercial bar. This disparity is reflected in the statistics on the representation of black barristers, which remains disproportionately low compared to their white counterparts. In response, Chambers such as 11KBW have initiated scholarships aimed at addressing this imbalance and promoting greater equity within the profession.

I’m keen on establishing my own project to help aspiring black lawyers and, more specifically, barristers to navigate the journey and the routes to the bar, because I think personally it can be quite difficult to understand. My aim is to offer an on-boarding programme which would help aspiring black barristers to understand what they should be doing at various stages of their career and provide access to these necessary experiences.

What advice would you give prospective students considering a similar path?

You have to find balance between studying, fun and extracurricular activities as it helps you be more productive in your work as well as enjoying all aspects of student life. I sought to do this by signing up with City Law School’s football teams. Besides that, I also used the gym facilities. So, I think that such kinds of activities helped me to balance work and pleasure.

Otherwise, with London’s status as a legal hub, it’s a great opportunity to start building and expanding your network. Establishing good connections can help you gain work experience and shadow experiences. And if it’s on your doorstep, that makes it just that little bit easier.

How would you define the legal profession?

In essence, a legal career is a marathon, not a sprint. Whether one aims to become a solicitor or pursue the Bar, the journey is arduous, characterized by numerous barriers to entry. From acquiring the necessary qualifications to gaining relevant work experience, aspiring legal professionals often face a daunting path. It can be disheartening to possess the qualifications but lack the opportunities to practice. This relentless cycle of applications can be exhausting, leading some to succumb to fatigue and abandon their aspirations. Therefore, mental fortitude is essential in navigating this challenging landscape.

I embrace a glass-half-full mentality, viewing failure as a pathway to success. One learns more from setbacks than triumphs, making resilience crucial in the legal profession. Additionally, balancing work and play is essential. As the saying goes, your network is your net worth. Thus, it’s important to balance studies with expanding your professional network and nurturing personal relationships. This approach has been instrumental in my achievements and has brought me to where I am today.