The Boyle-Rodney Scholarship: A Testament to Educational Excellence and Community Spirit

Set up in 2022 by James Boyle (MSc Real Estate Investment, 1997) to pay tribute to his lead tutor Bill Rodney, the Boyle-Rodney Scholarship encapsulates the many ways Bayes Business School helps students achieve their ambitions. By supporting students financially in their studies, it also exemplifies the long-lasting bond that exists between our institution and alumni.  The man behind the fund, the professor in whose honour it was created, and recipients of the fund past and present, tell their tale.

James Boyle (MSc Real Estate Investment, 1997)

The impetus to set up the fund has its origins in seeing the transformative power of a donation over forty years ago, when an equipment-starved school rowing club received a donation out of the blue from an alumnus in faraway Australia, large enough to fund a new boat. This generous offer got James thinking: “At the time, whilst I could envisage the impact of the donation by the amazing results likely to follow on the water, I remember wondering what motivated the donor to make a donation like this? Would I ever be in a position to know the answer? “

A transformative impact

Awarded to two students per year, the scholarship covers the cost of their MSc tuition fees, of which the scholarship pays 50% and Bayes the remaining half. The Scholarship supports academically excellent students who would otherwise not necessarily be able to pursue their educational and professional goals. The transformative impact such an initiative has on the lives of selected students and alumni is closely aligned with Bayes’ overall philanthropic mission and operations, as underlined by André Spicer (Executive Dean, Bayes Business School):

Professor André Spicer
André Spicer (Executive Dean, Bayes Business School)

“I am delighted that James has chosen to support Bayes in this way. His philanthropic goals align with our commitment to ensuring that every student with potential can have the experience of Bayes and the advantages that a Bayes education brings. We want every student who has the ability and interest to be able to succeed at Bayes, regardless of any financial or societal challenges they face, and it is only with philanthropic support that we can achieve that aim. James’ generosity is greatly appreciated by us all.”

For Bill Rodney, the feelings evoked by such a scholarship being set up in tribute to his own work are a mixture of personal pride and satisfaction at what Bayes is striving to achieve. He derives much pleasure in seeing young talent benefit from such a scheme:

“Knowing that I have supported former students who are now giving back to the Business School is a true honour. This recognition serves as a poignant reminder of the far-reaching impact of education and mentorship. It validates the time spent nurturing talent and fostering intellectual growth and drives a renewed sense of purpose and enthusiasm for our courses. It’s humbling to see that my work, together with that of my colleagues, has had an impact beyond our students’ time at the school. This bursary not only acknowledges our contributions but also reinforces the importance of supporting future generations of students.”

More equitable and accessible studies for all

In creating such a scholarship, Bayes and its alumni work in tandem to create a more equitable and accessible learning environment for all students, providing a tangible example of a shared commitment to supporting the next generation of scholars. Such initiatives also foster a stronger sense of community within the Business School, encouraging ongoing engagement between current students, faculty, and alumni, which creates a network of support that extends far beyond the classroom.

Current recipient Yakshini Bhurosah (MSc Actuarial Science, 2024) nurtured plans of studying abroad, so to have been eligible for such support has proven to be game-changing:

“Pursuing a Master’s at Bayes was my dream but I knew that to realise my hopes of studying abroad I would need some assistance. When I learned of the scholarship and was confirmed as eligible, all the pieces of the puzzle fell into place, not just financially speaking but also academically and, further on down the line, professionally. To become an actuary, I need to pass 13 actuarial examinations. This master’s degree at Bayes Business School has provided me with a lot of exemptions in one year, thus allowing me to quickly fulfil my dream of becoming an actuary.”

For fellow student and scholar Abdul Khan (MSc International Business, 2024), the encouraging signs from Bayes began even during the application process, before being confirmed not just for his chosen MSc but, above all, the scholarship. Without this, he would not be speaking as a Bayes student today.

Abdul Khan (MSc International Business, 2024)

“For me the fees were a barrier, so I was enormously grateful to have that removed. I was also buoyed earlier in the application process by all the wonderful mentors with whom I was put in touch. One, in particular, drove me on, reminding me not to undermine myself and that taking the plunge by applying would be a learning experience in itself. The impact of this funding has been profound and multifaceted. It has granted me the privilege of accessing a world-class education, where learning extends beyond textbooks and lectures. The opportunity to absorb knowledge from esteemed industry experts and to be challenged and inspired by a diverse cohort of peers means that the Boyle-Rodney Scholarship has been immeasurably invaluable.”

A scholarship that opens doors

Nidhi Panchal (MSc Finance, 2023) is among the first alumni to have benefitted from the fund. Now working as a Fixed Income Analyst at Bloomberg, the assistance she received in 2023 to be able to pursue her studies at Bayes was decisive, not only in supporting her during her time at the Business School but also going forwards, educationally and professionally speaking:

Nidhi Panchal (MSc Finance, 2023)

“I was profoundly grateful for being awarded the Boyle-Rodney Scholarship for my Masters in Finance degree at Bayes Business School. This generous support has been truly transformative, as it allowed me to pursue my studies without the burden of loans and provided invaluable financial assistance throughout my course. The scholarship not only covered my tuition fees but also provided a crucial stipend that significantly eased my living expenses in London. Thanks to the vision of James Boyle and the legacy of Bill Rodney, I was fully able to immerse myself in the rigorous academic program and take advantage of all the opportunities Bayes offers. This scholarship has opened doors
that might otherwise have remained closed, and I am deeply appreciative of the impact it has had on my educational journey and career prospects.”

A joint celebration

The scholarship stands as a testament to the quality of Bayes’ educational programmes, the generosity of alumni, and the collective commitment to supporting the next generation of business leaders. This powerful reminder of the enduring impact of the Business School experience is not lost on the brains behind the scheme, James Boyle. His support of the school also includes giving guest lectures to Real Estate Investment students. He often takes advantage of these direct interactions with current students to push home a vital message:

“I always make a point of saying to students that my course, colleagues and teaching staff at Bayes gave me the necessary skills and confidence to forge a really enjoyable career. In celebrating jointly running a successful business for over 20 years, setting up the scholarship with Bill Rodney gifted me the opportunity to evidence my sincere thanks to Bayes for all it has done for me.  It is enormously satisfying to meet and learn of  more students with the opportunity to study at Bayes and have what I had, as a consequence of the fund. I feel I’ve answered the question I asked myself as a teenager.”