Blogs

International Student Blog

Journey across the pond: my journey to City

The City Law School, Undergraduate , , , , .

I am from Toronto, Canada and I decided to move overseas to study because I enjoy travelling and believe one should take the opportunity to obtain a well-rounded education while diversifying oneself. In North America, a four-year bachelor’s degree needs to be obtained before attending law school. I achieved my four-year degree in Vancouver, Canada where I had discussed with lawyers who obtained their qualifications internationally the difficulty they had in qualifying in Canada upon return. Many said attending a two-year fast-track programme required them to do more schooling in Canada upon return. Therefore, I decided to study on a three-year law degree (LLB).

An advisor from Canada Law from Abroad helped me through the application process and was very on top of dates and reminders and definitely wanted to help and see me be accepted into one of the schools of my choosing. I attended an information session day where 12 universities had representatives available to talk to, including Professor Chris Ryan from The City Law School. He had been listening to the types of questions I was asking other schools and had all the information written out for me, on top of more information he thought I may be interested in. He had a genuine interest and engagement, which many of the other school representatives did not.

I applied for accommodation upon acceptance and got my first choice at Liberty Court, which I received early July. When I arrived to my residence there were people to help me with my bags, I was shown around and introduced to my flatmates. There were activities to participate in during the first week, with prizes such as gift cards. I actually won a Nando’s gift card and cleaning supplies for my flat!

For my Tier 4 visa application I went to Toronto in early August and everything was mailed to my house upon completion in late August. When I flew over to the UK for the first time I picked up my biometric residence permit (BRP) card from my designated post office near Farringdon Station, which I now show with my passport every time I travel. I applied for a national insurance number and bank card right away as I knew there might be a wait and I would need them at some point. Luckily I applied for them early because I did not actually receive either of them until the beginning of November.

I got involved in societies and various volunteer opportunities to feel more engaged which I would suggest to everyone, so you can make the most out of your time at City. As my first year at City is coming to a close, I can say that I made the right choice in choosing this university.