Blogs

Becoming a Speech and Language Therapist

Beginning the Job Hunt

Uncategorized.

I pretty much promised myself that I wouldn’t start looking for a job until after I’d handed in my research project. But then I signed up to receive alerts from the NHS Jobs site, and my plan went out of the window.

I’ve mixed feelings about my new strategy of ‘only applying for the ones I am REALLY interested in’, as I’m finding it pretty difficult to stick to my own rule. There have been lots of tempting jobs that have come up (So far I’m applying to different jobs working with adults in the community and in hospitals), and I’ve found it hard to be selective but also avoid FOMO. Oh, and making sure I actually get my project done.

The NHS application process involves writing a 1500 word supporting statement about how you meet the person specification for the job, which is attached to the vacancy page. These vary in length- I’ve seen 7-page and 1-page specifications, and the idea is that you provide an example of how you meet each point….which can be difficult if you find it hard to be concise (me). BUT, I’ve found that after the first one, the following applications feel a little easier. There are often a few requirements that are similar between jobs, particularly if you’re applying for similar client groups, so only a little bit of tweaking is required. There are some specifications that feel really tricky to talk about briefly, as (I think) they encompass such a broad and general range of skills… but I guess this is part of the art of the application, selecting clear examples from your own practice.

We’ve been advised to expect a long and potentially frustrating application process, but to hold out and power through as something will come along. I guess that part of my thinking about applying is that if I crack on with some applications now, I’ll be starting the learning process and improving on each one. I’ve also been asked to apply for a job that is not an SLT role, but will involve using my BSL (British Sign Language- I’m now coming to the end of my level 2 course) and will mean that my signing will improve dramatically in a short time. As I’m not sure about whether this would be a wise move, I’ve asked to speak to one of our tutors for advice (have I mentioned how lovely and supportive they are?).

For now though, it’s back to my research project, as we have a looming deadline for drafts of the last two chapters, due just before Easter. Here is a picture of Mouse being really helpful and not at all distracting.

About acnm941

Speech and Language Therapy student who writes about the ups and downs, ins and outs of studying and juggling real life (and who also includes silly photos sometimes). View all posts by acnm941 →