Blogs

Becoming a Speech and Language Therapist

What Happens at an SLT Selection Day? (P.S. We got a cat)

Uncategorized.

It feels like it’s been a while since I’ve thought about writing a blog. We’ve had a hectic end of term, with assessments and pieces of coursework due right up until the last day. 

Since then, I’ve taken a little bit of time off studying and have been working a few more days than usual- as an ambassador helping out at applicant days, hosting school groups visiting City and also dressing up as a mermaid. Did I mention I entertain at children’s parties?

I’ve also been working at some selection days run by the School of Health Sciences.

Just to clarify, this is differnet from a taster day (for year 12 students to find out more about a course), an applicant day (for those who have already applied) and an offer holder day (for those who have received conditional or unconditional offers following their interview). This means helping to make sure interviews, sit-down examinations (midwifery and nursing students need to take English and maths tests as part of their application) and campus tours run smoothly/helping direct people to where they need to be/making sure everyone has their requested documents with them (more on that later). It’s made me realise that I’ve forgotten a little of what it’s like to be at the very beginning of the process of becoming an SLT, and that it can be a stressful and anxiety-inducing time. So, with this in mind, I thought I’d write about what to expect on one of these selection days for SLT, things to bring and things to do beforehand.

Before the day, you’ll receive a detailed email from admissions, telling you where and when to come when you get to City. READ IT. PLEASE. You’d be amazed at how many people turn up having apparently not done this, and it doesn’t look good. Journey plan the night before, make sure you leave extra time for those temperamental London tubes, and bring the campus map that you’ve been sent. Eat something in the morning, bring water and a snack, and dress comfortably and professionally. You don’t need to wear a suit, but feel good and proud about how you present yourself at interview, as it’ll make a difference to your confidence once you’re in there. When you get to the venue, you’ll probably see some student ambassadors. In case you’re not sure what they might look like, here’s a picture of Alex sporting a fetching red tshirt and smiling lots- that’s how you’ll know who they are.

They will all be current students who are working for the day- they’ll sign you in, direct you to somewhere if necessary and maybe give you some more detail about interview rooms. If you’re early, it’s a good chance to ask questions about the course and the university- they’re there to answer them, so pick their brains!

For SLT, the process involves four mini interviews, about 7-8 minutes long each. You’ll rotate around 4 different rooms, each with a different tutor, and they’ll each ask you different things. The idea behind this is that it limits bias- basically, there’s a more fair opinion of you when you meet four different people.

So, what might they ask you? They will ask you why you want to do the course. Here’s a tip: avoid the phrase ‘I want to help people’. They know that. Be specific; researching the job role and course specification will give you some ideas about this. They may also ask you about relevant experience, a time when you’ve adapted your communication, about the NHS core values and professionalism at work. To be honest, I’m guessing a little bit here, but it’s a really good idea to come well-prepared and with some concrete examples of research you’ve done. When you’re applying for a competitive course, these are the things that will make you stand out.

Before you go in to your interviews, take some time to breathe and reset. This is where being early helps- you’ll have some down-time before you start. It’s really important to remember that the tutors want you to do well; they’re not there to try and catch you out, just check that you’re keen and ready to study on an intensive course.

After your interviews, you may get the chance to go on a campus tour. If you have time, this is a good opportunity to see where you might be spending three years and ask questions about general stuff that happens at City (societies, social events, support services that are available, etc.). If you’ve looked at some campus universities, you’ll see something different and it might help you decide which kind of studying environment you’d prefer to be in.

Perhaps most of this sounds really obvious, so forgive me. But sometimes, in moments when we have lots of other things to think about, basic things can be forgotten. Very good luck. You got this.

Oh, and here’s a photo of our new cat. She is called Mouse. She is 8 years old, missing seven teeth and a little scraggly round the edges. She is perfect, I’m sure you’ll agree.

About acnm941

Speech and Language Therapy student who writes about the ups and downs, ins and outs of studying and juggling real life (and who also includes silly photos sometimes). View all posts by acnm941 →