Heading to the European Conference on Information Literacy

Sign saying come in we are open
Sign saying come in we are open
Photo by Richard Balog on Unsplash

Next week I will be in Krakow, Poland for the European Conference on Information Literacy and I am really excited to be speaking about the impact that this module has on staff attitudes and their academic practices. My session takes place on Monday afternoon and is part of a series of papers about Information Literacy Education. The module primarily focuses on digital literacy and open educational practices, but in my view these are both very much part of information literacy teaching and I am really looking forward to sharing my experiences with the conference delegates. I’ve not been to ECIL for a few years but it’s a fantastic supportive community of educators.

I’m really looking forward to sharing my experience of teaching this module over the past 6 years and also reporting on some of the research I have been undertaking over the summer with my colleague Dr Luis Pereira. We’ve been investigating staff attitudes to both digital literacy and open practices and particularly have been focusing on the impact that the pandemic has had on staff. I’ll be sharing my slides soon, but this builds on research I undertook in 2019 and presented at the Inted 2020 conference in Valencia. This was written up for the conference proceedings and is available on open access.

I’m also looking forward to the module starting again on 20th October 2023, when I have a new cohort joining the course including students from the Masters in Academic Practice at City and Library and Information Science students. I’m so grateful to all the fantastic guest speakers that join me each year and a list of these is available from the webinar page. I wish you all the best for the new academic year!

About Jane Secker

Senior Lecturer in Educational Development at City, University of London